EXAMONE

An "ANYTHING GOES" forum for discussing the interests, issues and concerns of the paramedical examiner community. Sharing ideas, knowledge, experiences and opinions is strongly encouraged.

However, we do ask that all participants respect the rights of others to communicate in whatever manner they wish, positive or negative, and TRY to behave respectfully toward one another when conflicts in views or opinions arise.

Our goal is to create an environment where examiners can speak openly and honestly without the restrictions of forced diplomacy or the constraints of having to observe over-bearing rules of political correctness.

EXAMONE

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Exam one is trying to turn all their contractors into employees in their corporate offices. From what I see there are no advantages. I say don't do it. Maybe they are trying to prevent a class action lawsuit like Portamedic is facing.

Re: EXAMONE

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:53 pm

class action lawsuit

When that day comes, I have more dirt on the office I use to contract with than i do in my back yard. :lol:

I can't believe it hasn't happened yet especially with $Quest$ behind them now. Big pay day for some lawyer and justice served for a lot of examiners..

From what I see there are no advantages. I say don't do it.

No choice?

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:27 am

Guest wrote:
class action lawsuit

When that day comes, I have more dirt on the office I use to contract with than i do in my back yard. :lol:

I can't believe it hasn't happened yet especially with $Quest$ behind them now. Big pay day for some lawyer and justice served for a lot of examiners..

From what I see there are no advantages. I say don't do it.

No choice?

I contract with E1 and I was given a choice. I was not however given the details. I was told that since I already had directs and contracted with other companies I should just keep doing what I am doing. I have heard that once you become an employee you have log in time spent at various things you are assigned to do. They have to track so you don't go into overtime. You have set fees for exams instead of commission, but if the power companies keep bidding lower to gain companies the flat rate at times is better then what I am getting as a contractor getting 45% of billable. I did a Para(6-7 pages) b/U + ekg + packet for SBLI and got paid under 30.00 dollars. I promptly told office manager I do not want to do any more for that co. unless that was a mistake in billing.
Just another reason to get out and get own agents.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:47 am

They don't seem to get it that without examiners......NOTHING will get done.
It really is time for a strike of some sort.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:54 am

i did my own "strike"... i quit and went direct only. they lost an excellent examiner, but i don't think they cared :( ...

iwanurblood

Postby iwanurblood » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Guest wrote:
i did my own "strike"... i quit and went direct only. they lost an excellent examiner, but i don't think they cared :( ...

It thrills me to hear that. GOOD for you!
And, no, they don't care....at least not enough to do anything about it.
I have also gone almost entirely direct.
I work with the E1 office a couple of days a week because I like the office manager & its not her fault the owner is a cheap-skate! I can always work some of my exams in on those days so its not a total loss.
I don't know what its like where you are, but my business is steadily increasing while the PCs have steadily declined!
This will happen more & more as examiners (& agents) get smarter!

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:27 pm

I promptly told office manager I do not want to do any more for that co. unless that was a mistake in billing

Wow and you still have your job?

It was always made clear at the E1 I contracted with we couldn't pick and choose.

Good for you! Let us know if your workload drops off.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Guest wrote:
I promptly told office manager I do not want to do any more for that co. unless that was a mistake in billing

It was always made clear at the E1 I contracted with we couldn't pick and choose.

I've been doing directs and flat rates (ie; $35 for a PBU) for so long that I forgot about this one. Another example of the law breaking that runs rampant in this profession. By definition, as independent contractors we should be able to turn down work any time we want, with no repercussions.

Those who have the balls to do it should turn down that kind of work. If nothing else they'll have the threatening emails to add to the proof pile when they get their letter asking if they'd like to participate in a class action lawsuit.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:51 am

Guest wrote:

Work load has not dropped off- if anything increased- I only give 2 days a week they can schd and those are both full lately sometimes a week in advance. Their health fairs also have increased. I even was asked if I was given 8-10 exams per day in an out of my area- 2 days a month- would I be willing to do. I had to tell them some stipulations and they agreed. Sometimes getting difficult to get directs done. My directs come first though. Sometimes I got to tweek it a bit.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:34 pm

They have to track so you don't go into overtime

If they look at it this way, how do they know their contractors aren't going into overtime?

Will examiners that have contracted with them up until now have the opportunity to take action, E1 by doing this in my opinion, is acknowleding they have been wrong all these years?

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Guest wrote:

If they look at it this way, how do they know their contractors aren't going into overtime?

Will examiners that have contracted with them up until now have the opportunity to take action, E1 by doing this in my opinion, is acknowleding they have been wrong all these years?

The Examiners that go employee have to log in/out when going to appts, also health fairs.Very weird set from what I have heard. Seems like another way to track you.
E1 also had a position that paid like $13.00 dollars/hr but you got full benefits and they supplied car and gas. In this position you went were they told you and when. Basically worked an 8 hour day but you actually got paid to drive on thier nickle!

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:00 pm

The Examiners that go employee have to log in/out when going to appts

So I guess E1 plans on compensating examiners for their time it takes to log in and log out also? We all know every minute counts.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Guest wrote:
The Examiners that go employee have to log in/out when going to appts

So I guess E1 plans on compensating examiners for their time it takes to log in and log out also? We all know every minute counts.

LOL ....not one that does that but I am sure they don't add anything. I have heard employess are given gas cards every so often if having to go out of area. As for me I prefer they tell me the bonus for going that way I can decide if it is worth it or not.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:19 pm

E1 by doing this in my opinion, is acknowleding they have been wrong all these years?
Any of the companies doing this are, in effect, acknowledging wrongdoing in the past. They're hoping to get around being held liable for it because they're getting sued much more often than in the past.

As has been said many times; hold on to all your documentation, you will need it at some point.

wow

Postby wow » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Guest wrote:

By definition a contractor is not an employee of the company and thus overtime laws do not apply. Becoming an employee guarantees you some rights of employment under the law - right to breaks, lunch hour, overtime, planned time off, possibly benefits for full time employees, etc. I don't see how being given a choice is a bad thing. Certainly some examiners out there would prefer to be an employee if only to avoid the tax hassle of a 1099 instead of a W2

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:28 pm

I just heard that a class action lawsuit is forthcoming against Examone.

wow

Postby wow » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Getting paid for training would also be a requirement for employees

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

thus overtime laws do not apply

You are wrong. Why do you think PM is getting sued right now? For not paying their contractors overtime!

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm

I don't see how being given a choice is a bad thing. Certainly some examiners out there would prefer to be an employee if only to avoid the tax hassle of a 1099 instead of a W2
Being able to choose isn't a bad thing unless all the choices suck. And are examiners really able to choose or is it same old same old, our way or the highway?

Based on past history the PCs have rarely done things that are mutually beneficial so I'm inclined to suspect their motives. Covering their asses? Or maybe continuing their abuse but now using state sanctioned whips? There have been changes in the laws giving companies tax relief and a form of amnesty if they show they are now being compliant in proper classification of employees and contractors.

And what, exactly, are the tax hassles being avoided in 1099 vs W2 ?

wow

Postby wow » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:08 pm

What other choices are there for people who work besides being a contractor or employee? It sucks to have to work in general but you gotta be one or the other if you do work!

I can see someone not wanting to deal with saving for and paying taxes quarterly as many choose to do with 1099s. If you have another job then that's probably very complicated. It's also complicated to log how much time you spend doing this type of job, so again, it's just a matter of personal preference - at least the choice is being offered. From the posts above it does sound like some people said they were told to keep doing what they were doing if they wanted to.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Guest wrote:I just heard that a class action lawsuit is forthcoming against Examone.

I would have to say class action has a chance of winning for what ever has a good chance of winning. Count me in.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:11 pm

I just contacted a lawyer today about examone, on the sheet i had to fill out i checked yes to retaliation, overtime, misclassification, and unpaid prep time. I have emails and pay stubs to prove all of these. We will see.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Have a friend who works for them.
New examiners have to download an application to check in and checkout various times of the exam. She chose to be IC, not emp;loyee.
Portamedic- requires a time sheet. They request 1 hour per exam. You can put in what you want but not to exceed 39 hours/ per week. They have done that for years.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:01 pm

Portamedic- requires a time sheet. They request 1 hour per exam. You can put in what you want but not to exceed 39 hours/ per week. They have done that for years.

This must be for employees only, i have never had to do this as a contractor for them.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:49 pm

You would be appalled by the way corporate office speaks about their examiners. And don't think that the corporate office employee's get treated any better by upper management. They are losing people right and left and still don't care. Hiring temps that don't have a clue what they're doing and this is why the examiners are sent back out to the same upset people time and time again. Then they blame it on the examiner because it's easier to terminate a contracted employee. Your best bet is to boycot ExamOne and do business exclusively for their competitors.

tabatha

Postby tabatha » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:01 pm

iwanurblood wrote:
Guest wrote:

How do I go direct??? Please I work for E1 now and I am spending more than I am making. Traveling sometimes an hour one way for a $20 Job. Being promised bonuses which in the beginning were worth it because the bonus filled my gas tank and made it worth it. But then after a month some bonuses were missed and not paid and when I sent a list of unpaid bonuses what was once a $25 bonus suddenly became $10 bonus and was not worth the 2 hours on the road and didn't even replace the gas used to do the appointment. I have cut my days to three now and refuse to travel more than 20 miles from my home unless an agreed on bonus is noted on the work order. I cant afford to work here much longer but this is like a dream job for me. I developed an allergy to a popular flower and find it hard to work at hospitals because of the flowers in patient rooms. My allergy causes anaphylaxis so i cant really"just deal with it or take meds". So when I saw the job with ExamOne I jumped on it. But....I am paying out more than I am making for some jobs. Please Advise

It thrills me to hear that. GOOD for you!
And, no, they don't care....at least not enough to do anything about it.
I have also gone almost entirely direct.
I work with the E1 office a couple of days a week because I like the office manager & its not her fault the owner is a cheap-skate! I can always work some of my exams in on those days so its not a total loss.
I don't know what its like where you are, but my business is steadily increasing while the PCs have steadily declined!
This will happen more & more as examiners (& agents) get smarter!

berykute

Postby berykute » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:08 pm

THERE IS A CLASS ACTION NOW YOU CAN pm ME

Return to “Discussion Topics”