Reading a ekg

An "ANYTHING GOES" forum for discussing the interests, issues and concerns of the paramedical examiner community. Sharing ideas, knowledge, experiences and opinions is strongly encouraged.

However, we do ask that all participants respect the rights of others to communicate in whatever manner they wish, positive or negative, and TRY to behave respectfully toward one another when conflicts in views or opinions arise.

Our goal is to create an environment where examiners can speak openly and honestly without the restrictions of forced diplomacy or the constraints of having to observe over-bearing rules of political correctness.
whatever

Reading a ekg

Postby whatever » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:03 pm

Ok so ever since the post we had awhile back about some examiner
saving someone's life
from having the ability to read a ekg, I have been trying to do a little self teaching.

My medical teaching only covered proper lead placement and a brief run down on ekg's, the setting I preformed ekg's in before becoming a PE there was always a MD standing close waiting for ekg, so I never really had a need to learn more.

I thought it might be interesting to start a post on little easy tricks that PE's might know about ekgs.

Example:
Easy pulse checker, count the number of R waves in a 6 second strip and multiply by 10 for example , if there are 7 R waves in a 6 second strip, the heart rate is around 70 (7x10=70).
Now most of our ekgs read the pulse for us I know, but I like to check myself and the machine.

How about pulse irregularities? Premature (extra) heartbeats, I was told the R wave will be noticeably wider with palpitations, so if you see this on a ekg and did not hear any irregularities on your 1 minute pulse it might be a good idea to recheck.
Pulses are funny, sometimes I think I might hear a irregularity and I will retake and not hear it the second time. I am sure we all face these things at some point and being alone in the field we don't have the luxury of having a extra pair of ears to say come listen to this.
Has anyone had someone's pulse so irregular that you had a hard time counting the irregularities? I have, and will generally just put a + in the box indicating something is not right with the pulse.

I had a applicant the other day whose BP was high, when I looked at the ekg I did notice the R waves in the v4 v5 v6 area were a little different then normal, could this confirm hbp to the MD who reads it?

Just putting a few things out there that I think about and wonder if others do.

Return to “Discussion Topics”