Exam companies terrified

An "ANYTHING GOES" forum for discussing the interests, issues and concerns of the paramedical examiner community. Sharing ideas, knowledge, experiences and opinions is strongly encouraged.

However, we do ask that all participants respect the rights of others to communicate in whatever manner they wish, positive or negative, and TRY to behave respectfully toward one another when conflicts in views or opinions arise.

Our goal is to create an environment where examiners can speak openly and honestly without the restrictions of forced diplomacy or the constraints of having to observe over-bearing rules of political correctness.
Insider

Exam companies terrified

Postby Insider » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:46 am

Hi All,
I am a former corporate level employee of one of the bigger exam companies and am coming here to give examiners some insight. I can't name names because all the companies watch these message boards like hawks and I can't risk a lawsuit, but they are very worried about the prospect of examiners joining together. They realize that everything they've built could be destroyed and restructured virtually overnight if examiners started acting in concert with one another.

My former employer has gone as far as planting people on the boards to create doubt, fear, and confusion amongst examiners. I'm sure the other companies do so as well and if you heard the conversations on the inside you'd be appalled. They frequently comment on the stupidity of examiners for not recognizing the solution is right in front of them and it's been discussed many times. Over the time I've been here I've seen the amount of respect for examiners drop more and more each year to become what is now mostly contempt. They think of examiners as being pawns to use as they wish and laugh at most of you. Especially those who are trying to bring everyone together. They are pretty confident that the majority of examiners are too dumb or too scared to get anything off the ground.

I'm sharing this because they are people who lack morals and ethics and I'd like to see them proven wrong. You folks are the backbone of this field and deserve better.

Re: Exam companies terrified

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Thank you Insider for sharing:)

It would be great to copy, paste, and foward this to any and all examiners you all know, even if they dont come to this board, we need to get busy, lets get the #'s we need to start this flame a blazing :twisted:

We can and will do this, I know it won't happen over night but the first step was NASCPE, and I am happy to be apart of it :!:

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Santana must be one of those people planted on this board with all his misinformation.

Angel

Postby Angel » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 am

Something about insider doesn't ring true. Personally I doubt the PCs are "terrified" that examiners will unite. Examiners see one another all the time: at the PC offices, at wellness events, hell sometimes we even show up at the same exam when the smarmy agent decides to contact as many PCs as he can in order to get the exam done quickly or the client is applying to several companies!

they want their share of the pie, fer sher, but I doubt there is a serious 'conspiracy' against us that would warrant busting these boards. Local BMs and franchise owners, maybe, here and there, but they are more interested in busting each other than us.

Satana and Miss Manners come across as small franchise holders or BMs (in more ways than one!) than corporate plants!

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:49 am

I agree Angel examiners do see each other all the time, but sometimes they don't know who they can trust.

Angel

Postby Angel » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:30 pm

A few years ago I had an experience that really shook me. I arrived at an apt I had made with a client at 6 pm as arranged. He met me at the door with, "I didn't know you were still coming! Janet just did my exam and left. She called an hour ago and when I said you were coming at 6 she said, 'I'm in the neighborhood and I can see you now.'"

As it turned out, 'Janet' was an examiner who spent a lot of time hanging out at the local ExamOne office, looking over the CSRs' shoulders and nosing into things. Since our territories overlapped, she was particularly interested in my exams. Fortunately I "had something" on 'Janet' because I worked with her in another capacity - she did not have the credentials she said she had in order to get the paramedical examiner's job in the first place!

I gave her a 'friendly' call and said, "And where exactly did you study phlebotomy? Last I knew you were a unit secretary at the hospital. How did you find the time to get your 100 sticks?" Her sister, an RN, had taught her to draw blood and she had practiced on family members until she got good at it. The BM knew all about it, she bragged.

I told her that may be well and good, but I was sure the E1 regional director, a neighbor of mine, didn't, and would not be happy to learn she had "fibbed" on her resume.

"Your secret is safe with me," I told her "As long as MY orders, MY apts, and MY territory is safe, as well."

And that was the end of that. I will say that aside from common griping, my other dealings with fellow examiners has been helpful and friendly. We call each other, swap off exams, lend each other kits and EKG supplies when we run short, and cover for one another.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:14 pm

How was that examiner able to do that? How was she able to get the order? That's ridiculous.

I rarely see other examiners. The ones I meet are... weird. There's one who covers part of my territory whom I share supplies with on occasion but I don't get the vibe from him that he'd like to share anything but supplies. He's not necessarily weird, but definitely not someone who I think I'd talk to about goings on.

It's hard to explain.. but I think that some of us who are so used to being independent and almost hermit like end up with qualities a lot like someone who is isolated. Does that make sense?
I had a physical myself a loooong time ago and the examiner made very little small talk, was really unkempt, and didn't want to answer any questions I had about the profession. She just wanted to get in there, get it done, and leave. Shit, I do too, but you need to at least be pleasant, you know? I can still get it done efficiently and be nice.

Speaking of agents sending more than one examiner out, I've had that happen only once. Luckily I had gotten there first so I got the case, but the client didn't say anything. And, to their credit they may have thought someone was confirming for the examiner when I called and vice versa. They wouldn't necessarily know if two dates had been set up. Sometimes they do, and I've encountered that for sure, but sometimes it's confusing for them and it ends up happening.
That particular examiner arrived wearing jeans, a ball cap, and a members only jacket. D'OH!!!! That really rubbed me the wrong way.

Angel

Postby Angel » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:55 pm

That examiner was able to do that because that E1 office (a corporate office) had cubbyholes above the fax machine where printed out orders for each examiner were kept. (this was back in the day when they used to fax orders to examiners) All she had to do was peek into another examiner's cubbyhole when no one was looking, copy the order and be on her way!

I'm in such a remote location nowadays that I rarely see other examiners. There are a couple of gals within 30 miles that I talk to occasionally and I see others at wellness events.

My husband had an exam done back in my old area and the examiner was as you described: in jeans and sweatshirt, unkempt and sullen. Me, I always wear fresh matching scrubs (I'm under the illusion that matching scrubs make me look thinner!) lab coat or white cardigan, ID badge and nursing type closed-toe crocs. I find it easier and more comfortable to wear scrubs. They last forever, easy care, and I don't have to wonder what I'm going to wear - just reach into the closet and grab a hanger, 9 sets hangin in a row. I'm always pleasant and am apt to chat with the applicant a little bit, admiring their grandkids' pix or their curtains, petting their dog, etc.

Examiners I've met, and me included, are apt to be a little eccentric. I listen to Clive Cussler mystery thrillers on CD in the car, and live a sort of insular life. Nevertheless, the ones who do get out a bit, that is, doing wellness events and flu shot clinics, etc., seem to get along. There are things I would never share with another examiner: the names of my direct agents, for instance, or the exact financial arrangements I might have made with a PC BM. If a gal tells me what she is making and if it sounds like slave wages to me, I'll tell her so! But I won't tell her what I make, or anything else that might get back to the office and bite me in the butt.

I tell them about this board, also, and I know some of you are out there right now.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:32 pm

[quote]As it turned out, 'Janet' was an examiner who spent a lot of time hanging out at the local ExamOne office, looking over the CSRs' shoulders and nosing into things. Since our territories overlapped, she was particularly interested in my exams. Fortunately I "had something" on 'Janet' because I worked with her in another capacity - she did not have the credentials she said she had in order to get the paramedical examiner's job in the first place![/quote]

Same crap happened at my E1 office, I confronted BM about it she assured me that was not the case but I know differently, had a friend that worked in the office who filled me in. BM use to be a examiner and she was trained on the job with no prior medical so I guess she does not see anything wrong with it, and in my state there is no law against it so it is what it is, she knows the rules inside and out her #'s look good I'm sure because she just got a promotion :shock:. I just try and stay away from that situation not worth the headache and there is nothing I can do about it.

That's the great thing about being a contractor if I don't agree with how they do business, I just cut my hrs and do as little business as possible with them their loss.

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Angel wrote:Something about insider doesn't ring true. Personally I doubt the PCs are "terrified" that examiners will unite. Examiners see one another all the time: at the PC offices, at wellness events, hell sometimes we even show up at the same exam when the smarmy agent decides to contact as many PCs as he can in order to get the exam done quickly or the client is applying to several companies!

they want their share of the pie, fer sher, but I doubt there is a serious 'conspiracy' against us that would warrant busting these boards. Local BMs and franchise owners, maybe, here and there, but they are more interested in busting each other than us.

Satana and Miss Manners come across as small franchise holders or BMs (in more ways than one!) than corporate plants!

Right, and you come off as an SMM plant with all your "bill through SMM" chatter all over the board.
YES, the PC's ARE terrified, but not so much at the exam division of their operations, but at the workplace and wellness services division. Competition coming from all over the place has severely damaged EMSI's and E1's penetration in that market. If "insider" is someone who just recently exited from his/her position, then I know who you are. Thanks for the encouragement to continue our treck for INDEPENDENCE!!!

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:25 am

But Angel if it wasn't assigned to her how did she "get" it? I know that she essentially took it from you but when she turned in the paperwork to the PC to get paid, didn't they see it wasn't assigned to her? That's what confuses me. Maybe I didn't read it correctly.

Scrubs and crocs are easy.. I feel really frumpy in them though. I had one set a while back that I loved that was really soft and looked like denim. The other scrubs with the prints though drive me bananas when I see them lol!!!

Sorry to hijack the thread everyone ;)

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:51 am

Examiners see one another all the time: at the PC offices, at wellness events
Really? Then why isn't every examiner in the business aware of this board? Your office may be an exception but most keep examiners as far away from one another as possible.

Angel

Postby Angel » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:10 am

Oldtimer, SMM doesn't need a "plant"! Prior posts demonstrate that kevin Saunders monitors this board and replies when asked to. I have never set foot on SMM property, nor have I ever met an SMM employee, although I am invited to their annual get togethers, and get regular updates and all my questions answered in a timely fashion (as do all examiners who contract with and/or bill through SMM. My loyalty to SMM is not blind, nor has it been paid for. My loyalty to them has been earned by them!

Guest, she was able to do the exam and get it reassigned to her because of her (_*_) buddy relationship with the BM. Just takes a phonecall! But that's water over the dam. Long time ago. Just taught me to watch out and use descretion. If it happened today, I would refuse any further exams sent by that PC and tell them why, demanding a $15 no-show fee for the hi-jacked exam before accepting more work from them. They would initially refuse the fine, and not send me any exams for a few weeks. then I would recieve the $ under "expenses" in a future paycheck after they relaized that they needed me after all.

In regard to billing, many ICs are locked into an "approved" exam vendor. for instance, Northwester Mutual 'approves' exams done by E1, PM, EMSI. that means they will only pay bills for exams sent to them by these PCs. If I trained my dog to perform an exam he would still have to bill it through one of these approved vendors. If the farmer next doorto me decided to open an independant billing house, she would still have to bill NMFN through one of these vendors and pay the vendor a %. Whatever biller you use still has to represent themselves as one of these billing houses. If I were to do NMFN through SMM they would bill it through E1 #398. At 75% with kit replacement for free and 2 week payment turnaround, it's still the best deal for me. Aviva, Lincoln, I would bill direct through SMM and get 85%.

Angel

Postby Angel » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:33 pm

Also, and in reply to the guest who asked about credentials, the ICs are concerned with liability. They don't want an agent's phlebotomy class dropout cousin, a registered sex offender, or a documented felon going into someone's house and sticking needles into them. Affiliation with a PC implies that the examiner has had some allied health or medical training and has performed over 100 venipunctures (something required by most, if not all PCs) and undergone a background check. If this turns out to be fraudulent, it is the PC who is left holding the bag, not the IC.

Underwriting wants a comprehensive explanation of "yes" answers, not "something wrong with heart" or "App was in hospital for 3 days". It takes education to be able to expand upon answers like these, although we examiners all know that sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get details from an applicant.

Insider, you contradict yourself in your initial post. Why are the PCs "terrified" if they think we are stupid and are unable to ever unite?

lady79

Postby lady79 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:39 pm

some allied health or medical training and has performed over 100 venipunctures (something required by most, if not all PCs)

100 sticks is nothing and should not qualify anyone to be a paramedical examiner, as far as allied or medical training goes transporters and unit secretaries go through mandated paid training at hospitals, does not mean I want them sticking me.
There are too many things that could happen in the field, I had a gentleman have a seizure during a blood draw once apparently it is not that uncommon, if I had not had experience working in the recovery room I would not have thought about his airway.

Bottom line for me is I had years of hospital experience and was still a ball of nerves at my first paramedical exam, I can't imagine someone saying ok you stuck 100 people here's your paramedical bag go be a paramedical examiner :roll:

Underwriting wants a comprehensive explanation of "yes" answers, not "something wrong with heart" or "App was in hospital for 3 days".

If the applicant gives me "something's wrong with my heart" that's what I write, yes I will ask were you ever dx with anything? I get aprox dates and DR. info, but if applicant doesn't know, I am not going to lead them into saying something, what if I am wrong? I'm no doctor nor am I paid like one.

Underwriters should have to go out and do a few medical Hx's with some of these applicants before they judge any examiner, it is not easy getting info out of some of these applicants. Contracted examiners are only making 30.00-35.00 total in my opinion this doesn't even cover the time it takes to get specimens much less a in depth precise hx. If the underwriters have questions they need to look up records, I always make sure I have dr's info on exam for them.

The other day a applicant was taking simvastatin that was being used to treat something other then high cholesterol, who am I to question?

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:03 pm

100 documented successful venipunctures in necessary to take a phlebotomy certification exam. Phlebotomy certification is awarded to those who pass the exam. Phlebotomy certificate from a legitimate certifying organization is necessary to bill oneself as a phlebotomist. I agree, M'lady, that 100 sticks is nothing compared with the number we do once we are in the business. Experience is an add on.

I too had an applicant go vaso vagal on me once. He was a huge man who lived in a house crowded with antique furniture. He fainted after the draw was complete, as I was tagging his tubes. When i went behind him to try to lever him onto the floor, he seized, thrashed his head around and bit my left bubby!
Medical training had allerted me to the fact that when a pt seizes and bites down they don't let go so I jammed my wooden ruler into the side of his mouth. Just then he came out of it with my bubby and a piece of wood in his mouth!

As he lay there on the floor, I told him I was going to call EMS. He begged me not to, saying that he was the fire chief and he would never hear the end of it!
I got him some juice and made myself an icepack for my boob, resceduled the next 2 apts and sat with him for an hour! I didn't make any more money for my time, but he did give me a beautiful Persian kitten!

I agree that underwriters and other IC personnel have little idea what we go through to get the information that they need, but nevertheless we have to do it the best we can. I wouldn't invent a Dx from the pt's decription, but i do try to get all the info I can even if it takes a little more time.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Wow, bitten on one of the girls, eeks!
I had a guy seize and grab my arm and not let go. Now I feel pretty lucky.
You really have to watch these folks before, during, and after. This was a fair amount of time after and I almost thought he was joking when the eyes rolled back.
After that, I always have my clients lay down with their legs elevated for the blood draw if needles make them nervous and have them stay like that usually until I'm done asking questions, or at least sitting on the sofa where they'll have a soft landing.

If an applicant says something like "I have something wrong with my heart.", I ask "Did the doctor diagnose you with anything?" If they say no, or they don't know, that's how I state it. I would never say "Client has something wrong with his heart" and leave it at that. (not saying that's what you did, Angel and Lady!). You simply state what they told you and that the client is unsure of diagnosis and make note of the doctor they saw, if any.
I recall someone saying on here a while ago that in retaliation they'd give vague answers... Not good. I actually don't mind when the applicant doesn't know because in turn it's less to write ;) Let the underwriters figure it out from the medical records if we don't have anything else to go on.

When I started as an examiner, I doubt that I had 100 sticks. I had worked for a doctor's office for five years and had gone to MA school, but at the doctor's office we did little to no blood draws. At my externship after MA school I didn't do that many draws either. When I was hired, I was told that I needed blood drawing experience within the prior year of applying for the job. Meaning if you were out of the field for a while they wouldn't hire you. I almost didn't get hired because it had been 18 months (I was home with a baby). The manager told me they couldn't hire me but I luckily (or not lol) spoke up and said it was a real shame because I was very good at phlebotomy and we were only 6 months out of that window. The rest is history. I was SHAKING during my first exam. I still feel butterflies at times and it's been more than ten years. A little confidence goes a long way and there are things you have to put past yourself in order to be in that zone where you can handle a vaso vagal or a difficult stick or a difficult client in general. I'll tell you, I can handle just about anything, but when someone challenges my abilities or is just a first class douchebag for no reason, I have a hard time with it and shut down mentally. I have a pretty thin skin and it's something I'm working on.

As for whoever started this thread, what difference does it make if the exam companies are terrified? Had this person come on and stated that they were totally poo poo'ing what we're doing instead of being terrified it seems like some of you would have the same reaction. It is what it is, and we push forward regardless of if they're feeling intimidated or not. At the same time though, the post contradicts itself when it says that they're laughing at those of us pulling together and using them as pawns. Unless that's nervous laughter, I don't see how they're terrified or even a little bit worried.
I wonder who the plants are? People like Santana and Mrs. Manners weren't exactly people who made me want to leave NASCAPE and bend over for, say, Portamedic and the mighty MSC you know?
I don't know how you could create confusion here. It's plain as day what's happening.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:46 pm

I don't know how you could create confusion here

Well you can misspell the NASCPE for starters :lol:

sorry I had to ;)

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:24 pm

You spells it like you says it, Antwan! :D

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Angel wrote:Oldtimer, SMM doesn't need a "plant"! Prior posts demonstrate that kevin Saunders monitors this board and replies when asked to. I have never set foot on SMM property, nor have I ever met an SMM employee, although I am invited to their annual get togethers, and get regular updates and all my questions answered in a timely fashion (as do all examiners who contract with and/or bill through SMM. My loyalty to SMM is not blind, nor has it been paid for. My loyalty to them has been earned by them!
Ok guys, so now you've heard it from "an experienced/expert???"examiner and let's forget about organizing and keep on billing through the PC's such as SMM, EMSI, E1, Porta. Since there is not a chance in @#$% that we will ever get a DIRECT billing contract such as those acquired by SMM (while still being an EMSI branch office.) Right! The only problem is that SMM is not the only "independent" with a DIRECT billing contract with various IC's. Angel, I'll give you three guesses on who else has 12 Direct billing contracts with IC's, and the first two guesses don't count. :lol: :lol:
:lol:
Guest, she was able to do the exam and get it reassigned to her because of her (_*_) buddy relationship with the BM. Just takes a phonecall! But that's water over the dam. Long time ago. Just taught me to watch out and use descretion. If it happened today, I would refuse any further exams sent by that PC and tell them why, demanding a $15 no-show fee for the hi-jacked exam before accepting more work from them. They would initially refuse the fine, and not send me any exams for a few weeks. then I would recieve the $ under "expenses" in a future paycheck after they relaized that they needed me after all.

In regard to billing, many ICs are locked into an "approved" exam vendor. for instance, Northwester Mutual 'approves' exams done by E1, PM, EMSI. that means they will only pay bills for exams sent to them by these PCs. If I trained my dog to perform an exam he would still have to bill it through one of these approved vendors. If the farmer next doorto me decided to open an independant billing house, she would still have to bill NMFN through one of these vendors and pay the vendor a %. Whatever biller you use still has to represent themselves as one of these billing houses. If I were to do NMFN through SMM they would bill it through E1 #398. At 75% with kit replacement for free and 2 week payment turnaround, it's still the best deal for me. Aviva, Lincoln, I would bill direct through SMM and get 85%.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:04 pm

thrashed his head around and bit my left bubby!
so I jammed my wooden ruler into the side of his mouth. Just then he came out of it with my bubby and a piece of wood in his mouth!

:lol: :lol: :lol: This is not a funny situation, but the visual I have from your story I cant stop laughing!

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:06 am

They frequently comment on the stupidity of examiners for not recognizing the solution is right in front of them and it's been discussed many times
it looks like they might be onto something since we can't even stay on topic

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:19 pm

it looks like they might be onto something since we can't even stay on topic

chill out 8-)

Angel

Postby Angel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Oldtimer, why are you quoting me then adding your own addenda to my quote as if it were part of what I said?

I am not an "expert examiner", or an expert on anything else, for that matter. Uniting as examiners has nothing to do with billing as a united group. All I am saying is that in order to bill an IC directly, one must get on an "approved vendor" list. Maybe NASCPE will do that in the future, but right now the object of uniting is to form a cohesive group of experienced, competent and savvy examiners who are willing to perform exams well and in a timely manner convenient to the IC, but not at slave wages!

Personally, as I have said, I maintain a solid book of business both by contracting with the PCs and performing direct exams for various agents. I job out the billing for my directs to the billing house that gives me the best deal. I don't do my own income taxes either. I pay my CPA sister-in-law to do it. She's the expert. I didn't build my own 3-car garage, although I know how it's done and given enough time I probably could have done it. Instead I hired the best contractor I could find. I didn't remove my own appendix, either. I could grow my own potatoes, but I don't. I pay a lot of people to do things I either don't have time to do, don't want to do, or am unable to do. Like everybody else.

In a perfect world I could travel to various ICs' headquarters or attend one of their summitt meetings, walk in and talk someone into letting me bill my exams directly to them. That is how the PCs do it. However, I have no problem paying Kevin Saunders and his crew to do it for me. Saves me time and hassel.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:40 am

chill out 8-)
oops, sorry, i forgot, we're not allowed to question the behavior of examiners here because it's an examiner board. so i won't dare mention how rude it is to pirate someone's topic. and i surely won't suggest that people who want to go off topic start their own thread. no. that would be wrong and possibly offensive.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:45 am

oh, and at the risk of being called a communist, i agree with angel. it's not right to quote someone and insert your comments into their quote. god forbid there be rules, but your comments should be outside the quote so it is clear who's saying what.

let the bashing, smashing and trashing begin

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:04 am

oh, and one more thing, i apologize for going off topic so i'll include my opinion on the original topic.

terrified might be a bad choice of words. they probably do think we're stupid, as a group, but still realize that some examiners know enough to be dangerous. so maybe they're not actually having nightmares but, just in case, still whistle when they pass the graveyard.

anything's possible. even dummies seeing the light of understanding.

i appreciate 'insider' sharing and hope s/he wasn't put off from sharing more by where this post went.

lady79

Postby lady79 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:28 am

how rude it is to pirate someone's topic. and i surely won't suggest that people who want to go off topic start their own thread. no. that would be wrong and possibly offensive.

You are right :oops: I am personally sorry insider it was not my intention to go off topic sometimes it's easy to do on this board, when you want to address a comment made after a original post.

Thank you insider for your feedback much appreciated.

Angel

Postby Angel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:29 pm

I don't think Insider introduced a topic, but rather made an announcement. For that reason, those of us who have participated in this conversation have not strayed from the topic, but have shared their experience and insite regarding PCs, then exams in general. The described "terror" of the PCs was never out of sight, and anyone who had anything to add did and may continue to do so.

I am dealing with a PC right now that has recently "gone corperate" with a new manager who is trying to get examiners to jump through new corporate mandated hoops. Me, I don't care. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, pay lip service to the new mandates, and produce the timeliest well documented and thorough exams - like I do for everybody else. Not because the pay is great :lol: but because my name is on every exam I do.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:53 am

that's right angel, just ignore the comments you don't like and stay on the path YOU want the topic to be about. lady79 at least had the decency to listen, learn, and apologize when she realized the shoe fit.

Angel

Postby Angel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Actually, I don't ignore comments. But if I did, yours would be at the head of the line.

Livingdeeply

Postby Livingdeeply » Fri May 16, 2014 7:50 pm

“As he lay there on the floor, I told him I was going to call EMS. He begged me not to, saying that he was the fire chief and he would never hear the end of it!! I got him some juice and made myself an icepack for my boob, rescheduled the next 2 apt and sat with him for an hour! I didn't make any more money for my time, but he given me a beautiful Persian Kitten!”

Am I the only one who has a problem with what this person wrote?

First of all let me say this is a perfect example of why this industry needs to be regulated.

As an examiner your job it to perform Physicals. That's why there is not actually License to do what we do. Second it is common to pass out, or seize during or after a blood draw and if you have the right training you would be going into every home or office with that info.

Doesn't matter what your training is unless your a Dr you are not legally allowed to make the call to NOT CALL 911. By doing so you stepped out side your medical profession (unless ur a DR) and made a medical call and that is illegal. You could have been sued and lost everything.

Any time someone passes out completely not just got dizzy, you call 911. Cell phones have this great little think called speaker which allows you to attend the client while speaking to a 911 operator. If a client passes out or seizes you do not let them get up after even if they say they feel better. In this case vitals were not taken, DR was not contacted, so no one who legally can make the call that this was just because of the blood draw that nothing else was going on. Also examiner gave juice to a client who just seized ?? Anyone else seeing the problem with that? If client just seized there is no way to know if he will again. Giving him juice puts you in the situation of him seizing again while drinking juice causing him to aspirate.

Please don't take this I am trying to pick on you. I am showing my concern and making you aware of what could have destroyed your-life event. There is no coming back for an examiner who went outside there scope of practice and as a result caused greater damage because they didn't call 911. You would have never been able to work in the healthcare industry again and most employers (cuz it would be on your record would never hire you) even if it was a different industry all together because you made a bad call that could have cost a life.

This is my mission to regulate this industry. There is a lack of training and understanding among examiners.

Question:
How many of you reached this industry before getting involved?
How many spoke with a CPA before becoming an IC?
How many spoke with an attorney to make sure your legal?

See doesn't matter if you an examiner or not your a IC. What that means YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT LOOKS AFTER YOUR ASS!!

Lack of knowledge doesn't exclude us from law suites. These PC's are not protecting you, they are lining there own pockets.

I know 3 out of 4 of the 4 large company's are committing IRS fraud. I can say that as a fact. Because the IRS explains very carefully the fine very fine line between an employee and contractor and 3 of the 4 I know for a fact are in violation as we speak and an investigation has been launch thanks to Portamedic getting in trouble. I know many small PC who uses the same practices as these companies will also have an investigation done because they contract with 3 of these 4.

Pc's are not terrified examiner will unite. They are terrified of examiners joining together and regulating this industry. They would have to answer to someone which they don't now. In the long run regulating this industry puts more power into the examiners hands and less money in the PC's. That's the what they are worried about. This became a huge concern when Portamedic got in trouble. The more that examiners stand up for what is wrong the less control the PC's have. Oh and for the record there are laws that don't allow companies like the big 4 to be the only billing company's for Life Insurance. But that's a whole different topic that would take days to talk about.

Its time examiners get regulated. Its for everyone best interest.

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2014 10:27 pm

I had an applicant, state he has fainting history. While drawing his blood , he fainted, I , withdrew the needle. He was a newly wed, his wife had no idea.
He then stated he was short of breath and began waving his arms around. I asked his wife -any history of asthma. She new nothing. We called 911. It took him about 15 minutes to pass through this. He was okay, but since not knowing his history, I called.
Of course, by the time they arrived, he , just started recovering.
Did I feel stupid, yes but better be safe than sorry.
I collected enough specimen in the red top tube, and poured what I needed in EDTA tube. I start with the red top, just in case something happens.

Postby Guest » Thu May 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Guest wrote:I collected enough specimen in the red top tube, and poured what I needed in EDTA tube. I start with the red top, just in case something happens.

Wow. Where did YOU learn how to draw blood? You DO NOT pour from one type of tube into another. The blood clots very quickly in a SST tube, and this will affect any testing that would be done on the lavender top. And you ALWAYS start with the red top tube. That's about the first thing they taught me in phlebotomy class. If you aren't able to get any blood in the lavender top for whatever reason, send just the serum in anyway. I've done that a few times in my career, and I've never had to go out for a re-draw. Now, if they're diabetic, that's another story. You might need to go for a re-draw if they need an A1C, but it's a risk worth taking.

Postby Guest » Thu May 22, 2014 8:01 pm

haven't had a fainter in years, but I will never ever forget this guy,,,
Back in the day EMSI had us ask 4 qx before drawing someones blood.
Ever have a problem with a blood draw? Do you take any blood thinners? blah blah

He answered no to it all, then sat thru the uneventful blood draw, but as soon as I pulled the needle out he got up and RAN behind the couch hit the floor and had a seizure. I tried to tell him to sit down, and I always make them hold their finger on the bandaid for one full minute, while I write the names on the tubes..... but no, this guy RAN, FELL DOWN, and had a seizure, I freaked out, His wife was outside so I called her in,,, she wasn't all that concerned, but I had her help me elevate his legs, and get me a cold pack for his forehead. The second he opened his eyes, he took off again,, I called out to him, he went in the bathroom and slammed and locked the door..and I heard the shower come on.... I told the wife, this isn't good, he should not take a shower just yet, I need to see him and make sure he is ok or I am calling 911... She got him to come out, he was just really embarrassed he said, he wound up being ok, but I was sure freaked out about it....

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:24 am

NASCPE is a scam. And the owner is a just another dummy trying to make money off examiners . Stay away

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:10 pm

why did you post this under this topic?
Who is the owner?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:19 pm

Prob an exam company trying to keep us from coming together and too lazy or stupid to do it effectively :roll:

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:27 am

Really weird that you would post a comment like that under this subject topic. NASCPE is not an exam company. In fact I was thinking it is volunteers from members of NASCPE that admin this site.

What exactly is your problem? I am a member of NASCPE but I do not volunteer to do any of the work to keep this site going. However I do feel like it keeps many informed if you can get through the BS that sometimes comes in an open forum!

berykute

Postby berykute » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:10 pm

IT is true that there are "spies" from the exam companies on this board. I happen to know a few for a fact!
Just look for the "Guests".
I know one from Apps and one from SMM

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:39 am

I'm not disputing it and I sure as hell don't doubt it for an instant but how do you know for a fact?

Just curious.

Seasoned Ex

Postby Seasoned Ex » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:33 pm

I wondering why the PC would be "terrified"? They can contract with whom they want and cancel the contract when they want for whatever reason.
They hold all the cards. They can make up lies when they want to get rid of you. This is what happened to me. After, 20+ years, I was just pushed aside because I fought for myself and tried to keep the PC from cheating me out of money. Every time I pushed the BM, I pushed myself closer to having my contract cancelled. They do not want to be questioned about ANYTHING! If they feel you are one of those people that will advocate for yourself, THEY WILL GET RID OF YOU.

I also wanted to find out more about this organization, NASCPE. How can I find out more about them? Can anyone respond with the full name?

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:02 pm

July 1, 2016 | Napoli Shkolnik News

Napoli Shkolnik PLLC has filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of Maria Vecchio in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York against Quest Diagnostics, Inc., ExamOne World Wide Inc., and ExamOne LLC (Case No. 1:16-cv05165), alleging violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and New York State Labor Laws.

The FLSA establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, and record keeping requirements for the private and public sector. There are varying eligibility requirements, which makes it all the more important to consult a Napoli Shkolnik attorney if you believe your employer failed to properly compensate you according to federal and state labor laws.

In the class action lawsuit Napoli Shkolnik filed, Ms. Vecchio alleges that Quest Diagnostics and its subsidiaries failed to (i) properly pay her minimum wage and overtime compensation, (ii) maintain accurate records of her hours worked, and (iii) reimburse her for necessary work-related expenses.

Anyone who worked at Quest (exam one), diagnostics quest, examone quest diagnostics or one of its subsidiaries within the past six years may be entitled to compensation if they have experienced similar treatment. Feel free to call us and schedule a free consultation with our team of experienced professionals. (212) 397-1000

https://www.napolilaw.com/article/napol ... s-examone/

Email/Call
Paul Maslo
(212) 397-1000 ext. 2561 PMaslo@NapoliLaw.com
and
Andrew Dressel
(212) 397-1000 ext. 2564 ADressel@NapoliLaw.com

Please copy and paste, privately message anyone you may know that would like to join, this is nationwide for all examiners, the more examiners that join from different states the better. Hooper Holmes and Emsi have both had Fair Labor Standards Act Lawsuits against them and won. Do your research:)

Return to “Discussion Topics”