"Uberfication" of P/B/U services

An "ANYTHING GOES" forum for discussing the interests, issues and concerns of the paramedical examiner community. Sharing ideas, knowledge, experiences and opinions is strongly encouraged.

However, we do ask that all participants respect the rights of others to communicate in whatever manner they wish, positive or negative, and TRY to behave respectfully toward one another when conflicts in views or opinions arise.

Our goal is to create an environment where examiners can speak openly and honestly without the restrictions of forced diplomacy or the constraints of having to observe over-bearing rules of political correctness.
MagicBill

"Uberfication" of P/B/U services

Postby MagicBill » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:46 pm

So there's a company called Iggbo that is basically trying to bring the uber/lyft business model to dr. and genetic lab tests. I want this to be a separate topic because I want to focus on the business model CONCEPT not the company.

It seems like the concept is good, but the company's execution doesn't live up to the a true "uberfication." Because the business model is so lean, the idea is that is that it should increase our pay to be closer (or close enough) going into business for yourself, but without the hassle of finding clients, much like Uber did for the taxi industry. Driver's got paid close to what taxi drivers got paid, and drivers can turn on an app and get a ride almost instanteously. All of this while making the service much much cheaper for the consumer. Subject is up for debate of course, but you get the idea.

Why would or wouldn't it work for P/B/U for IC's? Why hasn't Iggbo expanded it's service to IC's? Can a true "uberfication" of this industry really happen?

Re: "Uberfication" of P/B/U services

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:59 am

It won't work because the ICs demand complete control over examiners and they control the pay rates.
The PCs give them that control and accept whatever rates the ICs will pay, so the ICs get everything they want.

Now if the PCs stopped letting the ICs control everything and started charging them what they should be paying for these services, an Iggbo/Uber thing might be possible.

MagicBill

Postby MagicBill » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks for the reply.

What if the business became a PC but used the Uber/Lyft model, so basically letting the IC's give the prices they want, but the business will use the 75%/25% commission model of Uber/Lyft?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:48 am

I can't say for sure but I imagine it would be a massive undertaking; getting approval from each IC, ensuring examiners are qualified and competent, background checks, etc.

And unless the ICs see a huge benefit (ie; get to drop their prices significantly lower than the criminal rates they're already getting away with) I think they're attitude will be "if it ain't broke why fix it".

They've already got the PCs acting like puppets.

MagicBill

Postby MagicBill » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:57 pm

To the right entrepreneurs, this may be possible. Background checks and competence training seems to be a problem that can be solved as other companies with similar issues with the free recruiting model have already solved it or are solving it enough to thrive. Worse-case, you have liability insurance.

The issue seems to be the ICs approval. Dropping rates by 10%, 20% for the IC to compete with other PC's may still be a viable solution, however. Even if the rates are lower, a 75%/25% is pretty generous considering that the examiner doesn't have to find clients. Worse case, they tweak the percentage in favor of examiners. The whole idea is pushing massive volume for the company to thrive, while keeping little to no infrastructure. It's just figuring out the numbers.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:48 am

Another entity dropping prices to get their foot in the door is just more of the same.

It's no different than what the PCs have been doing for the past 10-15 years; dropping their prices to undercut their competition. And it's the reason we've seen our pay drop every year.

This Uberfication idea is not a solution, it's just another player in the game of undercutting and the only winner is the ICs.

I, for one, won't get behind anything that allows the ICs to get our services for even less money than they're already paying.

IMO, the PCs need to stop undercutting one another and start pricing the services for what they're worth instead of what they can get.

Imagine if there was only one PC.
With no one to compete against, undercutting would disappear and you'd see prices go up immediately.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:16 am

I agree.

anything that results in dropping fees further is not a step forward, it's a step backwards.

I'd never want to work in a world where there was only one paramedical company (PC) because they've all proven themselves to be greedy and ruthless in the way they treat examiners. but you can't deny their "competing by fee slashing" has only made things worse.

there's no doubt the PCs are taking too big a cut but most of the insurance companies (ICs) are getting away with paying fees that are a joke.

I mean, seriously, they're getting examiners to chase their clients then make house calls on every one of them (at their client's convenience) and they're only paying in the neighborhood of $50, $60 or $70 for that kind of service?
THAT'S RIDICULOUS!!!

Limo companies get paid way more than that and their only service is driving people from point A to point B.
And the only skill their work force has is a driver's license.

MY2CENTS

Postby MY2CENTS » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:34 pm

I agree with the above poster.For all that is involved in processing these exams beginning with contacting client,scheduling client,obtaining lab specimens, completing Medical info, processing labs, QA, Medical info, shipping , to lab.The prices need to go up, not negoiating rates to play to
get in the business by offering to do all of the above for less.

I consider myself to be very efficient as well as experienced enough to cut the visit down to 15, 20 minutes if no medical history, but even I can't streamline the processing after the exam is completed.I double check before it goes out the door I always inevitably see something that was missed.
DO i WANT TO DO ALL OF THIS FOR LESS, no way.I am grateful for the carriers that do recognize the undertaking of what it takes to do a good job, and pay great rates.

I have in the past few years only connected with those carriers that recognize this and the rest the exam companies can have.

Cynical in Seattle

Postby Cynical in Seattle » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:20 am

MY2CENTS wrote:...I am grateful for the carriers that do recognize the undertaking of what it takes to do a good job, and pay great rates. I have in the past few years only connected with those carriers that recognize this and the rest the exam companies can have.

I'm glad you see it for what it is but, as my name indicates, I have to say cynically; don't kid yourself.

The ones who pay well don't do it out of recognition or appreciation. They pay well because they're unable to get the same deal the majority of carriers get. Maybe because they don't have a lot of volume or because of something else.

Whatever the reason, I seriously doubt they pay well due to conscientiousness.

In the end you're making a smart decision to deal only with the companies who pay well.
It's too bad a lot more examiners don't do the same. If the majority of the good, competent, professional examiners took this approach and refused to let themselves be sold cheaply, the poor paying carriers would be forced to increase their rates or be stuck with shitty examiners and shitty service.

IOW, get what they pay for.

CIS

MagicBill

Postby MagicBill » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:21 pm

This seems like a simple solution, but why don't PC's simply take less of a percentage from the examiners? As rates slash, simply take it out of the PC end. The whole idea of Uberfication is two-fold. Charge a little bit less to get the insurance company contracts (at least temporarily), while still paying more to the examiners then the competition.

You can't have both. If the new PC doesn't cut rates with IC, it doesn't get in the door to make change. However, instead of passing the losses to the examiners, the new PC takes on the loss instead.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:43 am

Right. Then BOOBer comes in and slashes prices even more so they can get their foot in the door and the cycle is repeated. In the end the prices are always going down, never up.

Why can't people understand that "more of the same" hasn't and won't work?

And in the entire history of this business have you ever seen a PC take the hit so they could pay examiners more?

Look at all the crap examiners are expected to pay for; cell phones, internet service, lab kits, fax machines, computers, centrifuges, butterflies and on and on and on. Hell, they even have examiners bearing the cost of printing packets.
That's not the PCs taking the hits, that's the PCs passing their costs and even their job responsibilities onto examiners.

But, when everything is said and done, the examiners are the ones really at fault.
When examiners will work for peanuts or are willing to undercut one another to get the work, the PCs and ICs win.

There've been numerous attempts to bring examiners together under one umbrella and even to get this business recognized as a profession. The result? A very vocal majority of examiners fighting against it and even more complaining about it, if there was any cost to them at all, no matter how small.

If the majority of a work force doesn't value itself enough to unite, there is no hope.

You seem to be an intelligent, experienced examiner so why aren't you understanding this?

Return to “Discussion Topics”