Superior (New Owner)?

An "ANYTHING GOES" forum for discussing the interests, issues and concerns of the paramedical examiner community. Sharing ideas, knowledge, experiences and opinions is strongly encouraged.

However, we do ask that all participants respect the rights of others to communicate in whatever manner they wish, positive or negative, and TRY to behave respectfully toward one another when conflicts in views or opinions arise.

Our goal is to create an environment where examiners can speak openly and honestly without the restrictions of forced diplomacy or the constraints of having to observe over-bearing rules of political correctness.
Superior

Superior (New Owner)?

Postby Superior » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:18 pm

Same as subject

San Diego

Re: Superior (New Owner)?

Postby San Diego » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Quest Diagnostics' ExamOne Life Insurance Testing Business to Acquire Superior Mobile Medics

http://www.cbs8.com/story/30319409/ques ... ile-medics

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:29 pm

What does that mean for the Direct billing industry.??
Certainly, it will be less in % , if one company dominates.

bloodextractor

Postby bloodextractor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:20 am

for sure and Examone won't let you bill direct unless you give them lots and lots of orders every month. Looks like they got us :c

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:10 pm

Oh My! Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse. I guess Superior took the money and ran.If you can't beat em join em. Their rates were in
the toilet since they had quite a few 3rd party billing going on once they were dropped from PMD by Apps.Dumb mood on APPS part but hey Superior was competing against those franchise owners who weren't very happy keeping Superior on board.

What does this mean? Will rates finally go up? Will we continue to see the downward spiral of fees as exam companies jockey to maintain contracts? Time will tell and January is near, the beginning of all new contracts.I hope Examone realizes it's in everyone's best interest to not continue to offer Walmart prices for mobile exam services
.EMSI might be next to bite the dust.Who will gobble them up? One thing for sure if you don't have big bucks
to sustain these low rates, you cannot last long, pay employees and contractors, absorb cost of business and come out profitable. :geek:

Mrs. Bryant

Postby Mrs. Bryant » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:32 pm

I came to check the forum because of this text message I got from a fellow DE a minute ago...

"Did you see the latest? Examone bought Superior! Just Great!!"

I asked how she knew....

"One of my brokerage sent me the letter they sent them."

Oh well. Its official. That shows where we, the examiners, stand in the realm of what is important to them. How many of you got info direct from Superior regarding this change? I know I have nothing. smh

HolyRoller27

Postby HolyRoller27 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:11 pm

The deal hasn't closed yet. They've agreed to terms for the purchase but paperwork hasn't been signed yet. Anything can still happen. It's kind of like buying a house, you agree on price etc....but anything can still open before the pen is put to the paper.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:25 pm

Well I received 2 emails today concerning this. One from E1 that this is going to happen and should be a done deal by close of 4th quarter of 2015. Nice of them to still send me emails after terminating me by the way! The other was from SMM :

Attention: Superior Mobile Medics Direct Billers

We are pleased to announce that ExamOne has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Superior Mobile Medics. ExamOne is the nation’s leading provider of paramedical examinations, diagnostic testing, information and services.

As we work to integrate our companies, our highest priority is to maintain and expand service and quality levels for all clients.

It is important that until you are notified with additional information, nothing in our process is changing. Both companies will continue to operate as they have in the past.

Please continue to follow your current process to submit billing information. The process of payment and the current terms of your arrangement will remain unchanged at this time.

The success of the Direct Exam business is extremely important to all of us. We also understand that your direct business is extremely important you. Please know that together it is our mutual goal to continue to enhance our business models and provide the direct examiners the tools to help them to become more successful.

Any questions should be directed to your current SMM point of contact. We look forward to working with you to ensure a smooth transition during the coming months.

Regards,

Superior Mobile Medics

I wonder what E1 is going to do with all those independent contractors working with SMM! turn them into at will employees?

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:24 am

After above post- second email from SMM:

Attention: Superior Mobile Medics Contracted Examiners

We are pleased to announce that ExamOne has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Superior Mobile Medics. ExamOne is the nation’s leading provider of paramedical examinations, diagnostic testing, information and services.

As we work to integrate our companies, our highest priority is to maintain and expand service and quality levels for all clients.

It is important that until you are notified with additional information, nothing in our process is changing. Both companies will continue to operate as they have in the past.

Please continue to collect all specimens according to Superior’s order guidelines for both Insurance and Wellness events. The process of payment and the current contracted reimbursement rate to examiners will remain unchanged at this time.

Any questions should be directed to your current SMM point of contact. We look forward to working with you to ensure a smooth transition during the coming months.

Regards,

Superior Mobile Medics

So there you have it for now. I will say that when E1 "lost the Sam's clubs to Summit" ha ha- Summit bid people in for less money per hour. very shortly after that after that we all learned that E1 had bought Summit. Really did not come as any surprise. While E1 examiners still where getting paid their rates for health events we all wondered which way E1 would go on the health events- Really!! I have learned that : guess what- they went to Summit pay for E1 health events. (ie I was terminated as well after 10 yrs with E1 because I said "something") Well that was all they could come up with and they are correct- I did say something- But I will bet the house on if what I said was not true.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:17 am

Totally disgusted in the way this industry has turned in the last 10 years.

How much would you pay a person coming to take your medical history? How much would you pay to have that person that is reliable and did not cancel or no show? How much would you pay to make sure that person had experience? How much would you pay that person to make sure your specimen survived the day before getting processed and sent to lab? How much would you pay to make sure that the person that wrote that medical history did the paperwork that included looking up all doctors info to document before sending the paramedical exam?

I am sure never gets presented at the meeting each year to the insurance companies. Exam One just says they have a bigger coverage. We will lose money to get your business. .. Does not even come close to any of the above! Insurance companies paying less every year is not the answer.

Exam companies are paying 24-30 dollars for this service no matter what the drive. Really!

Can we at least get back to paying for services render above that pays more then flipping hamburgers and they have benefits but we don't!

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:23 am

Portamedic/APPS still has direct billing branch. You just need over 50k, for their business.

HottyToddy

Postby HottyToddy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:20 am

This is going to kill the direct business. APPS and E1 won't fool with you unless you're doing a good volume. For those of us that aren't doing 50k a year in Directs, who should we be billing through now? Does anyone bill through a branch office anymore?

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Now is the time to reach out to your fellow Direct Examiners that do have direct billing privileges you will get more leeway. While you are at it get busy and
market those agencies that were using Superior because E1 is going to absorb them, and they are going to tell you to make nice with your local E1 agcy. to bill through them. You might get lucky and get 75% or be at their mercy and take whatever you are offered. If you subcontracted with Superior you will absolutely see
a decrease in rates once the transition is complete.Superior had begun to offer agencies similar services as direct examiners by giving subcontractors numbers to agents, so they could have that direct relationship. I would be offended simply because If I'm not receiving direct rates I do not want the responsibility of connecting with an agent and their client too. The Exam companies would never do this because they do not want the agent's to contact their subcontractors, Superior however knew they were nearing the end and began implementing this, because they did not care.They also began a direct marketing tactic where Direct examiners that billed through agents were fair game to go after.Because they did not care.And now here we are chronic complainers on the board that can't see the forest for the trees. :lol: Negative folks that need to get out of this line of business :lol: Right. Whats that sayin? don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.That's exactly my sentiment and my take on people who come here to preach and complain about this board negativity.
I believe that E1 will eventually have clients coming to their service centers in the future and mobile exams will be obsolete.They will be able to do this because there will be no one left to compete with, leaving them the only company in town.In effect they will have Walmarted the other exam companies leaving them scrabbling to hold on as rates drop further and they try to make a profit.

HottyToddy

Postby HottyToddy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:33 pm

I don't see how fees can go down, I only see them going up from here on out. No chance in hell that agent's will tell their clients that they'll have to go somewhere for their exam, when its been the complete opposite for over 40 years. I don't see a Northwestern Mutual or NYL agent telling their big doctor or lawyer client they'll have to go across town for an exam.

I'm sure there is a reason for E1 buying SM, but I don't understand it. Their business models are completely different. Just like the APPS and Portamedic deal, "business as usual." in the mail till E1 decides to close the office in San Diego. I'll be interested in seeing how much they had to pay for it. I'm sure what E1 had to pay will make APPS look like they essentially stole Portamedic for that $8M price tag.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:46 pm

To the above poster.I hope like hell you prove me wrong.But if there is no one standing in your way, you can do what you want.
I'm sure they'll make exceptions for those high end clients, but I can personally tell you, I have a Northwestern Agent that regularly sends his
clients to my office, did a Doctor 2months ago.Did his other Dr.,Dentist, Lawyer at their office.We've worked together 10yrs it can be done.

It's not good for any of us of one or 2 exam companies dominate the industry.

Florida fun

Postby Florida fun » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:23 pm

I've heard from an inside source that E1 has a strong desire to grow the direct business model and not base it off of volume. SMM has a better model and can monitor better than the others and I heard E1 wants to capitalise on it and grow it. Let's hope it's true because it makes sense.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:17 pm

I have a hard time believing that's their goal when Examone flat out said they didn't want direct business. Would it not have made sense for them to direct us to use a direct side instead of watching us all walk out the door? Examone (locally here) gave up thousands in revenue and continue to hire and try to replace us with inexperienced examiners. Why would they give up 70 percent of our local office billing, not give us an option to bill our directs, then go buy a company that has direct examiners?

Makes no sense

HottyToddy

Postby HottyToddy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 pm

If they are trying to grow the direct business, I don't see that working. Look what happened to Portamedic when they came out with Portamedic Direct. The examiners started converting cases into "direct business", even though the order originally came from the branch office. All they had to was say "oh, the agent called me direct, etc." Once that started happening a lot, you started seeing branch offices closing left and right because it didn't make sense financially for Portamedic to pay for an office space, staff, etc. when branch billing numbers dropped dramatically.

The big question is going to be what happens when E1 eventually closes the San Diego office? What happens to all of Superiors regional sales reps around the country? I personally think this will hurt the branch offices more than they think it will. E1 is going to go through the same thing APPS/Portamedic did a couple years ago. People are going to jump ship. But who knows, maybe another 3rd party billing company will rise to the occassion. RSA? Med Physicals Plus? I think Superior grew to big too quickly and couldn't keep up. I predict in less than 5yrs, EMSI will be the next one to fold, leaving only APPS and E1.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:47 pm

Well, Examnet, is advertising and APPS/Portamedic is reaching out for Direct billing customers. I received a call from APPS Direct billing, I was surprised they were doing the billing, still.? He just said they will bill if 50k, yearly in business.
If Exam One decreases in %, I will be switching, for sure.
Time will tell!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Superior is smart to sell out.

It's too bad because they were the only one who wanted direct business bad enough to go after it without demanding ridiculous $50k minimums but to their credit they recognize this is a dying industry.

At $20 - $30 for a ParaBldUrine this business isn't attracting people with good work ethics and at those prices they don't deserve people with good work ethics.

With examiner no-shows constantly rising, bad attitudes and poor work quality the insurance companies are finally getting their due. Shitty service for shitty pay.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:45 pm

I have heard this business is on the way out, that paramedical services will be a thing of the past.
I have a feeling this is becoming true.
I wonder what the next 10 years has in store?
The person who stated this, was an exam business owner, for over 20 years, he left 3 years ago.

Emerald72

Postby Emerald72 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:47 pm

A $50,000 minimum really isn't that big of a number if you think about it, depending on the IC's you're doing work with. KofC, MW, & Shelter would be roughly $150 on average for PBU depending on the PC it's billed through. You're looking at around 30 direct orders a month if you only did those companies. I can see where some of the PC's don't want to waste their time cutting a check for 1-10 cases a month for direct billing. 30 direct orders really isn't a lot of cases if you're truly a direct examiner. Just my opinion...

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:08 pm

I received an email about SMM contractor examiners- at the bottom of the email it says:

This memo does not pertain to direct billers [examiners]. As previously communicated, at this point nothing in our process is changing. Please continue to follow your current process to submit billing information. The process of payment and the current terms of your arrangement will remain unchanged at this time.

I feel like someone just threw me a bone! At least for now.....breath in.....breath out.....

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:33 pm

K of C, 150.00, dollars? EKG I suppose but still, I am at 104.00 PBU, EKG. (with the 15% deducted)
I have billed this carrier with all 4 major exam companies, the past 4 years.
They bill out at 102 dollars, PBU, take 15%, pay is at 82.00.
I am provided kits, except with Examnet, they reimburse.
To above poster about billing amounts, how do you bill??
I have not billed through APPS/Portamedic, though, Portamedic Direct billed out the same as I just defined, so figured they all are about the same.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:42 pm

The average billing , for me, and I average around 40-60 monthly, is 70 dollars per exam.
MW, not in this state, neither Shelter.
Many Transamerica, Nationwide, Prudential, Genworth, Metlife, Knights of Columbus, NACOLAH, some American National and Knights.

Maybe it depends on the demographics, these days.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:48 pm

Just have one question? Why did an Apps rep contact me. I know they don't like your working for any other company- got fired for that several years ago. They say they don't support direct examiner work.

I have have learned through the years to believe half of what you see and none of what your hear or read! FYI

Emerald72

Postby Emerald72 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:17 am

I bill through APPS/PMD. If you compare the fees for all of the PC's, APPS is actually higher than most of them. When is was just Portamedic, the fee's for the same company were lower. Even after talking with Superior & E1 during the APPS/Portamedic deal, their fees weren't even close. While not all of them were a lot higher, higher is still higher and I'm reimbursed for kits with APPS. So doing the 30-40 cases a month for Shelter, MW, and KofC isn't really hard to come by to make that "minimum."

Superior was going to pay me 85% of what they received. So if the case pays the PC $100, for math purposes & it's billed through Superior, then E1 bills the case for Superior.

XYZ Insurance Company pays $100 to the PC. Case is billed through Superior/E1. Superior doesn't have contract w/ XYZ Insurance Company. Superior collects 85% of case from E1. Superior pays examiner 85% of their 85%. Examiner fee comes out to: $72.25 without kit being reimbursed and without all their BS fees they add on.

While $72.25 is still a good pay for that case. Why wouldn't you just get setup with a REAL PC and collect 85%/$85?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:31 am

A $50,000 minimum really isn't that big of a number if you think about it
I disagree. I suspect the vast majority of direct examiners aren't doing 50k or more per year.
Maybe 10 - 20% of directs are producing those kinds of numbers.

There's no way to accurately nail down the numbers for sure but I'd stay away from anyone who expects or demands a minimum of any kind.

Any company that expects or demands a minimum is essentially trying to force you to put all your billing through them. And we all know that dealing with only one company is never a good idea.

This memo does not pertain to direct billers [examiners]. As previously communicated, at this point nothing in our process is changing. Please continue to follow your current process to submit billing information. The process of payment and the current terms of your arrangement will remain unchanged at this time.

Notice the last words "at this time".

This is the same thing Portamedic told their directs when APPS was in the process of buying Portamedic.
But when the deal was done, part of the deal included Portamedic turning over each examiner's agent information and APPS almost immediately turned around and sent most of the Portamedic Direct examiners packing
as soon as they stole their agents.

It may still be called Portamedic Direct but that's in name only.
APPS owns and controls it. And they screwed a lot of people.

So unless Superior makes a PUBLIC statement that definitively states they will be retaining ownership of the direct business division, expect the same thing to happen and start making your moves now before you're behind the 8 ball.

EWAMN

Postby EWAMN » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:52 am

From the email I got directly from Superior Mobile Medics, Examination Management Services, Inc. (EMSI) has an agreement to acquire Superior Mobile Medics. Just a note, EMSI does not use self contractors unless they get direct examinations. All examiners are usually employees, so be warned that they may want to make examiners employees down the road. Your pay will be greatly reduced.

EWAMN

Postby EWAMN » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:56 am

I am incorrect, it is ExamOne according to a new email I just got from Superior Mobile Medics. The sale will take place 11-16-15. At that time, independent contractors will gradually being transferred to employees with ExamOne.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:17 pm

Attention: Superior Mobile Medics Contracted Examiners

As previously announced, ExamOne has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Superior Mobile Medics. This transaction is expected to close on or about November 16th.

Until closing, nothing changes. We ask that you continue to provide services to SMM as usual. As of the anticipated closing date of November 16, all new paramedical exam orders received by SMM will transition to the ExamOne branch office network for assignment. Many of you are already contracted with ExamOne and should contact your branch office with any questions. The offices are also being made aware of these changes. For those SMM examiners who do not already work directly with ExamOne today, we encourage you to do so. If you have previously been unable to work directly with Exam One, we encourage you to reach out again. You can start this process by either contacting your local ExamOne branch office directly (find location at http://www.examone.com/locations?zipcode) or complete this brief survey to initiate the process at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/examinercareers

Please note that you will be able complete all previously assigned or scheduled SMM orders already in process as of the expected close date, but these orders must be completed by December 15, 2015, and submitted to SMM for billing and payment as usual. We will continue to service and status all requests in our customary way for our clients.

We are expecting a smooth transition and are appreciative of all your help. We have received some great feedback from many examiners about the opportunities that are ahead as we put these two companies together. As part of the Quest Diagnostics organization, ExamOne is one of the largest providers of collection services in North America. ExamOne offers many opportunities in all of the following areas: insurance paramedical exams, health and wellness services, drug screening and Medicare support services. We look forward to exploring continued opportunities with you.

Regards,

Superior Mobile Medics, Inc.

This is SMM's latest email and it should be noted that it WASN'T sent to all examiners. I'm not sure what to make of that at the moment but I am suspicious. There must be some reason they didn't send it to everyone.

I highlighted the part about direct examiners.

berykute

Postby berykute » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:11 pm

According to Superior nothing will change.

Examiner One

Postby Examiner One » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:18 pm

HAHA

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:01 am

@ examiner one
What exactly are you HAHA ing about? If you are currently working for exam one you are already working for less then the rest while punching a time clock! You can also expect some " transitioning" examiners to at the very least see how this is going to work. Guess what..........you now have more competition only these are not just newbies- they have been around the block. They won't be taking the newbie role of running helter skelter just cause they thought they had to. They have already been there and done that. Let the games begin.

berykute

Postby berykute » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:46 am

I am not a newbee, having 20 years in the industry. Instarted with Lifedata, Portamedic, then SMM. We will have to wait and see.

Examiner One

Postby Examiner One » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:27 pm

I am ha ha'ing if any of you think nothing will change after Exam One takes over SMM. Of course it will change and not for the better.

berykute

Postby berykute » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:32 pm

I have been told that ALL examiner will have to reapply with Exam one and present all certification, licenses, ID and have a background check.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:23 pm

Of course, you will have to all that, as if a new examiner.
Be prepared for a urine toxicology, through one of their Quest labs, too.
I don't think their increase in business will last long., Agents are going to try the other exam companies.
It will be so strange to have only 3 exam company boxes on the lab slips.

berykute

Postby berykute » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:58 pm

Yes you have to reapply, background check and drug test too. And no more 1099, they take out taxes.

ginger

Postby ginger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:38 pm

I have always received a 1099 and expect no change in the future. But I am a corporation...maybe that would be the prudent thing for everyone to do.

As far as the drug screen...I am ALL for it! I have done drug screening for over 10 years and it STILL surprises me who is dirty!

Return to “Discussion Topics”