Doing two or more exams on same person- CRL

An "ANYTHING GOES" forum for discussing the interests, issues and concerns of the paramedical examiner community. Sharing ideas, knowledge, experiences and opinions is strongly encouraged.

However, we do ask that all participants respect the rights of others to communicate in whatever manner they wish, positive or negative, and TRY to behave respectfully toward one another when conflicts in views or opinions arise.

Our goal is to create an environment where examiners can speak openly and honestly without the restrictions of forced diplomacy or the constraints of having to observe over-bearing rules of political correctness.

Doing two or more exams on same person- CRL

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:46 am

I have been having problems with CRL releasing lab results to two or more companies using the same lab specimens. The IC companies are both using CRL. I am using the same barcode for all but the lab is only sending to one company and telling the other they have no results. I put all paperwork in lab kit when I ship specimens. What is going on?
Anyone else having this problem?

Re: Doing two or more exams on same person- CRL

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:04 pm

Can anyone tell me whom and possibly number to call to resolve this issue...OP

a direct examiner

Postby a direct examiner » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:40 am

You need to call and ask CRL, they will talk to you.
I always submit 2 labslips , one for each company, with that specific carrier as name of company. I copy the lab slip and staple it to the exam paperwork, for each.
I have never had any problem.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:32 am

That is exactly what I did. However I was using a zip slip for each order but still with each company name on each with same lab code. I can't figure out what the problem is but one applicant has been hanging for over a month now for one company and since two more have been added for the same IC. Something is not right.
I am a direct examiner also.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:15 am

What you need to do is let the underwriters handle it.I say this with good intentions.I have never hand the experience of them holding labs from one carrier when it was the same lab, I have however had agents contact me stating the underwriter still needs the lab results.After hearing this on a daily basis, especially with one particular carrier I found it necessary to send out a letter to all agents on the exam process. This is the following:
I send my labs out the same day by fedex unless its an exam after 4pm or an exam on the weekend. Afer 4pm thru weekday goes out next day.Weekend goes out on Monday. Contact E1 INSURANCE lab to determine when it was received.Use the barcode number or your client's SS#.They will inform you of when they received it and when it was sent to the carrier.CRL has a statuscrlcorp go the website. Insert the barcode, you do not need the waybill #. They will indicate when labs were received and reported to the carrier.After you have this information and the underwriter still doesn't have it, you can request the labs resend it, or contact the underwriter with your findings.Examiners donot get lab results,only underwwriters and proposed insured clients.

I have found it it's not the lab, but the carriers process. It may be lying on someones desk, they haven't forwarded it to the underwriter etc.(In any event my job was done when I collected it and sent it to the lab.)Don't take on another job.Your agents will be happy to do that leg work they're working on that commission :)

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:05 pm

Thank you for the advise. I wish we could compare notes to find out if it is the same carrier. I not willing to name names as yet but will if I get a charge back on these exams that were done. This is the first time in the 5 years doing direct exams that I have had this problem. I have done many multiple exams for different carriers on the same person and never had a problem. So to me there is something wrong which is giving a red flag on this particular carrier. Time will tell....OP

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:20 am

why not name the carrier?

if your both having a problem with the same one, there's your answer

when necessary, I give the agent the barcode and the airbill numbers and tell them it's the underwriter's job to track down. with what we get paid I'm not taking on the underwriter's job.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:51 am

I have given this info to the agents contact person more then once in the first case. The second time involving 2 people I have also sent to another contact person in same IC but also received email last friday that the agent forward to me that says they have " Nothing" which I am assuming again is the lab results because the agent knows I forwarded the paperwork to his contact from a different contact.
In the case that was already sent over a month ago - I was actually contacted by the same person twice that said they had the exam- they needed the lab results. That is when I told them I don't get lab results.- I have given them the paperwork that has everything on it that they should need to get results from lab. I also told them if they need the specimens collected again they need to reorder or deal with the lab that gave the results to they other company that applicant was apply to. Because they got the results on the same tubes that were sent in that they say the got a sheet that says N/A for all labs.

Again there is something not right. Has anyone else been having problems with NLG/ Life Insurance Co of the Southwest as far as them not getting the lab results if submitted along with another IC at the same time? I think that might be the key........? But then again I had the man and wife submitted in the case over a month ago on both companies and hers was fine for both companies but his results were only apparently given to 1 company and not this one...........

So I know what I am thinking and these are new agents for me I would love to keep both of their ICs but to do that I think I need to get to the bottom of this whether it is my favor or not with this IC . I sure don't need to do the work for 2 IC companies and get paid for only one. however this was the main IC for this group of agents.[url]I have never had a problem of submitting apps without another company being involved.[/url] I get paid by submitting to billing co. So what is it?
I have sent one of the agents a link to this post so if they have checked they are aware of what has been discussed prior to this post.
I did it because I know that what I did on my end was correct and you all have reinforced that ( I did send a rather lengthy email to agent) so they could follow.

Haven't gotten anymore exams from them in the last few weeks but I know the agents know I did my job. Do you think the billing company has anything to do with this mess/

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:04 am

Follow up:
I did call CRL Thursday afternoon. After looking up info there should have been no reason the 2nd IC did not get lab results on the first case that is over 6 weeks old. I was told she would have to go to talk to the ones that post these things. However at first I was told that there was info missing on lab slip. I told her I was looking at a copy of the lab slip and I see no errors. She pulled it up and agreed. On the second couple with the dual exams for both IC's I was told she can see both exams with lab slips for the wife. But only has the exam for one IC on the the husband. I told her I sent both the same day with paperwork in lab kit on both. I told her I will fax a copy of the other to them before she went to talk about what has happened here. On this couple the same IC did not receive lab results for either person. `

I told her I was in jeopardy of losing 2 agents and possibly and IC that could maybe blackball me and she said she understood. I have everything to back up what was done and she agreed. She took my number and said they would call me back.
They did not call back today.

I did email the two agents involved and one sent back a positive email. The other sent nothing in response.
Because both of these agents are fairly new agents and have given me several exams more then the 3 problem cases I feel like it is worth the effort to get to the root of the problem.
I know some say it is not my job to do but it also about my reputation as well.

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:55 am

I get it and agree. my comment had more to do with shit rolling down hill.

no matter what happens, the blame always falls on the examiner.

the agents have no idea who's supposed to do what, so when something goes wrong the examiner gets the heat.

we get it from the exam companies, the ICs, the labs and the underwriters.

the underwriters are sometimes the worst.
you would think someone doing that job would be required to have a medical background but it seems like most have little or no medical experience. they just check forms for completeness and have no idea what the content means.

and some are just lazy. they know how to chase things down with the labs, but they don't. they just tell the agents the lab doesn't have it.

it's the same old same old. if you don't feel like doing your job, just throw it on someone else and make it their problem.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Follow up:
CRL has not called me back after a week. I know they don't have to. I am the examiner. Hopefully I reported a problem and maybe it can be fixed.

I had 1 of the 2 agents send forward an email about my getting paid but the bottom line is - I am not getting any more work to date. Yes I have kicked up some feathers I quess but it was in the agent interest as well.

I guess it is better to find out sooner then later!

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:41 pm

Agent sent another email that he was forwarding about now a paramed had not been posted or sent. I the above post I faxed the paramed in question to CRL the week before. I had also sent at agents request to someone else in this company several weeks ago. Got the wifes but not the husbands sent in same email?!! how does that work? Resent again to another person in IC Friday and did receive an email stating she has. That is progress but this is only Monday.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:50 pm

I have also sent email to the agent not responding that I am done.
I did the work and all the above is something on their end. I am done.
I should not have even gone this far. Wasn't getting any more work anyway.
Just done.
I mostly think I have to please and forget sometimes I just have to do the job. The jobs have been done. I did more then a little follow up and now wonder about shooting emails off to certain parties could be violations.
I just fold the cards now. You also need to know when to walk away.

Return to “Discussion Topics”