exams at 6-7 am

An "ANYTHING GOES" forum for discussing the interests, issues and concerns of the paramedical examiner community. Sharing ideas, knowledge, experiences and opinions is strongly encouraged.

However, we do ask that all participants respect the rights of others to communicate in whatever manner they wish, positive or negative, and TRY to behave respectfully toward one another when conflicts in views or opinions arise.

Our goal is to create an environment where examiners can speak openly and honestly without the restrictions of forced diplomacy or the constraints of having to observe over-bearing rules of political correctness.

exams at 6-7 am

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Anyone else been contacted to to 6-7 am exams?

Re: exams at 6-7 am

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:34 pm

All the time. They will have you do them at 12midnite if you allow it. Because the rates are so low , I have to schedule for what is agreeable to my schedule not the clients.It did not use to be that way but gradually that is whats happening. I refuse to see one person that is 20 miles from starting point. The gas and time in doing it would make it a free exam. That's 40miles round trip. Until the rates increase to where they should be, this is the best that I can do.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:38 pm

I get the occasional request, but I just state my start time is 7:00 am, or 8:00 am if it's out of area. I recently got in a debate with an agent (for American Income Life-hate that company) who said that his client was ready to schedule now (bloody unlikely, as I've been chasing him for over a month) and that he was available on Sundays. I told him I don't work Sundays. He said that his client is a "49er", whatever that is, and Sunday is his only day off. I said Sundays are my only day off, too. Now, if this were one of my "big agents" and the guy lived close by, I MIGHT consider it. Might. But I've never done an exam for this guy before, and the client is probably 20 miles from my house. Lots of nope there! Sorry, dude, you're loser client's day off does not trump my day off. Gave him the phone number for the office, and told him to call there and see if they could find another examiner.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:36 pm

I took 1 exam pissing and moaning about it and no sooner got that done then was asked to do a couple on a SAT at 7:00 am ( might have been 6 if I had not put my foot down on the first one!) emailed PC again about how I thought this was out of boundaries. Was told they never get anything from this company that is not preset for 6 or 7 am anyday of the week. I had an appointment in the area at 9am and took the exams but also said - will not be doing anymore preset exams - I told them as a contractor I am supposed to be setting the appointments. I have only done a few exams for this company ever anyway. I have a more then excellent record for scheduling clients after receiving a work order for this company and it does not have to be outside of my boundaries. I do not like to be dictated by some agent from somewhere in the country using a small PC saying this is the only time their clients i are available. Anything before normal business hours should pay extra and maybe they are- but I sure don't get.
Agents need to realize direct or going through a paramedical company the examiner does not get any of the extras that the IC may be paying.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:03 am

Has any examiner in the history of the world ever said, "Preset appointments? That's a great idea!" ???

No, they were dreamed up by PCs who don't actually have to work them.

We all need to develop a new attitude and a new approach to presets.

They are (or should be) considered special handling exceptions and they should automatically be priced at a higher rate of pay. Actually, for all we know, they do pay more but we'd have no way of knowing that because the money doesn't get passed on to us.

Instead of accepting them as the routine orders they've become (which we never should have allowed to happen) we all need to start attaching a price tag to them. An extra $5 - $10 is reasonable.

Just because PCs come up with these bright ideas, it doesn't mean we have to go along with them at a cost to ourselves.
Sure, offer extra services all day long but don't expect them to be done unless there's extra pay attached to them.

It's obvious more and more examiners are refusing them or charging more for them, so it's up to the rest of us to follow their lead and make it become a standard for all examiners.

We can't stop the PCs from making ridiculous deals and offers but we can make them pay for them.
They can only control us if we let 'em.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Not only should they pay extra for a preset but should also pay if the applicant no shows. As examiners we should demand it.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:25 pm

If a preset is at a reasonable time (7:00 weekdays, 8:00 Saturday, not any later than 6:00 pm m-th) and it's in my normal area, and I don't have anything else scheduled, yeah, I'll take it, but I'm not bending over backwards for a preset. I LOVE when you get a preset for 8:00 AM three business days out. :lol: :lol: :lol: Not going to happen. Even if I don't have anything scheduled then (unlikely!) I'll say no just to keep 'em in line. That's the beauty of contracting with more than one company, they do NOT know your schedule!

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:54 pm

Yes working for other companies is necessary to stay in this business for many reasons. Setting boundaries for your work availability is essential for peace of mind. Excepting work outside of those boundaries opens another can of worms like- was that worth it to have to do something you didn't want to do for the same price as if the appointment had been scheduled in normal business hours?
I am a contractor- I have last minute things all the time with my directs! I was called yesterday afternoon for an appointment that I was able to fit into today and it was within my normal business hours. Of course that was for a direct agent.
Anyway I will not be doing anymore preset appointments outside of my boundaries for any PC - just make the same money anyway.
This is not my first rodeo!

ekgnightmare1

Postby ekgnightmare1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:51 am

I have recently been contacted to do a 5 a.m. exam almost 2 hours away from where I live. I laughed, and refused. :lol:

My regular hours are 9 a.m. on, but I will do some 8:30's if the money is right.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:45 pm

Did you ask then if they would put you up in a hotel the night before??? :lol:

I've asked people in the office (the ones I know well) when they're asking me to do something unreasonable: "Would YOU drive that far for x-amount of money? No? Neither will I." They know darn well it's unreasonable, but hoping someone is desperate enough to take it. There are towns on the very edge of my territory I will cover, but only if I can piggy back them with an another job on the way. The office is understanding about that, since I'll do it. I take a few if those a year.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:27 am

I'm glad to see more and more examiners stepping up, questioning things and saying no.

it's the only way to stop these things.

too bad it took the pay rates dropping so much before more of us responded.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:36 pm

Just another insurance and exam co vendor wanting to see how far and what they can get away with.

Return to “Discussion Topics”