Considering Employment - Advice Appreciated

An "ANYTHING GOES" forum for discussing the interests, issues and concerns of the paramedical examiner community. Sharing ideas, knowledge, experiences and opinions is strongly encouraged.

However, we do ask that all participants respect the rights of others to communicate in whatever manner they wish, positive or negative, and TRY to behave respectfully toward one another when conflicts in views or opinions arise.

Our goal is to create an environment where examiners can speak openly and honestly without the restrictions of forced diplomacy or the constraints of having to observe over-bearing rules of political correctness.

Considering Employment - Advice Appreciated

Postby markallen » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:42 am

Greetings, and thank you in advance for any advice you may offer. I had been a paramedic for 20 years, and left that field at the start of 2015 due to simply being "burnt out". I got my Life Insurance license and made a go of it since January, but the truth is, selling life is not my bag and does not sit well with me. I had considered the examiner position in the past, but never pursued. I spoke to a manager at APPS last week, and she was more than willing to see me and give me a job immediately! I was slightly concerned with her almost desperate attitude. Also, I was told that I would have to surrender my Life insurance license to my state of residence to be an examiner (conflict of interest). With that said, what can I expect to earn a month as an examiner (on average)? Is there any particular examiner company that is better than another? How much work is actually out there? I must say as well that after reading multiple post's here, I've sensed a real sort of negativity towards this occupation, or at least the corporate end of it. I'm not in any way attempting to be judgmental with regard to the post's, I just want to get a solid understanding of this occupation from the professionals that have worked it. Thank you so much. :D

Re: Considering Employment - Advice Appreciated

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:02 am

Go ahead and try it. Do the training with APPS and let us know, how you feel about it.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:24 am

Not that I'd want to sell insurance either but don't give up your license (especially not for APPS). Tell them you did/will but don't unless it has absolutely no value to you.

No matter what any PC tells you, nobody can guarantee they will keep you busy, even if you're stupid enough to cover here, there and everywhere.

If you've actually done as much reading as you say, you'd know there is no hard and fast answer to "what can I expect to earn a month as an examiner (on average)?" What you should focus on is how much you're paid per exam. If it's not at least $30-$35 for a PBU (with them supplying the kit) walk away. APPS in particular has consistently shown themselves to be the lowest payer. Typically trying to get examiners to do these for $20-$25.

No matter who you work for DO NOT AGREE TO LET THEM SCHEDULE YOUR WORK. That never works out to being in the examiner's best interests.

When you truly count every minute that goes into doing an exam (start to finish, including an average drive time of a half hour each way) you're looking at 2 hours per exam on average. Do the math.

No, really.

Do the math. Too many don't and never realize they're only getting $12-$15 an hour, before expenses.

Postby berykute » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:58 pm

This really is a part time job. Good as supplimental income only.

Return to “Discussion Topics”