Just curious. Do we have a bunch of lurkers or ...

An "ANYTHING GOES" forum for discussing the interests, issues and concerns of the paramedical examiner community. Sharing ideas, knowledge, experiences and opinions is strongly encouraged.

However, we do ask that all participants respect the rights of others to communicate in whatever manner they wish, positive or negative, and TRY to behave respectfully toward one another when conflicts in views or opinions arise.

Our goal is to create an environment where examiners can speak openly and honestly without the restrictions of forced diplomacy or the constraints of having to observe over-bearing rules of political correctness.

Just curious. Do we have a bunch of lurkers or ...

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:51 pm

Seems like every time I come here (which is often) I see 5-10 users are on the site but there's very few posts. Are those lurkers or what?

If you're not an exam company checking up on us restless natives, please post more often.
Even if it's just to say you agree with somebody or to share your own feelings or perspective. It's good that examiners are at least coming here and reading but it'd be better if we were getting more input from everybody.

I know there are people who don't post because they think we're just a bunch of whiners or they think complaining is just a waste of time. I disagree with that mindset and think it does serve a purpose.

Granted complaining doesn't actually resolve anything but it does validate everybody's feelings and brings a sense of solidarity to us as a group. There are plenty of things that complaining won't fix, but that deosn't mean they're not legitimate. Sometimes venting is our only option but it's better than nothing because it helps to keep issues in the front of our minds.

Re: Just curious. Do we have a bunch of lurkers or ...

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:29 pm

I work hard, for my direct agents. New agents are apprehensive , of how the system works but eventually, enjoy the one on one communication.
Businexx is growing. I used to rely on majority of pay from PM. Slowly, I have blocked the branch orders and can say , majority of pay, over 2500-4K/month is from direct orders.
I do feel I am working harder but doing less in numbers ( exams). FREEDOM!!!

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Seems like every time I come here (which is often) I see 5-10 users are on the site but there's very few posts. Are those lurkers or what?

There are 5 guests from what it says right now. I am one of them and I was basically reading but I have posted a comment as well. I am not sure what you are asking? Nothing is really private on the internet as we all know.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:07 am

I was just hoping to get more examiners involved in these discussions. You did what I was hoping; read AND posted.

As for our privacy, I feel completely safe. Might not be true if we had computer forensic experts looking at our comments but how many of those come here? :lol:

lurker

Postby lurker » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:13 pm

I am definitely a lurker. I check this site at least a couple of times a week just to see if there is any info on here that pertains to me. I have gotten so much information from this site and feel like it has given me the knowledge that I needed to break away from the EC and become a successful direct examiner. I have posted a couple of questions and have gotten some useful answers. The one thing that frustrates me is that people are always bashing the "newbies". I'm not a newbie but how are new examiners suppose to know their potential earnings. I can say that I get 87% but what is that number exactly? Is it a set amount or is it different in every region of the country? I personally think we should start posting some figures so that other well seasoned examiners as well as newbies can see what they should be fighting for and not get screwed from the companies we choose to bill through no matter what that company is.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:58 pm

i don't think noobs are bashed intentionally, i think there's an automatic assumption they're getting screwed and they're ok with it, or an automatic belief they're more inclined to take whatever they can get, just to get or keep the job.

the negativity comes from the frustration of knowing we have no guaranteed way to reach them and educate them. all we can do is hope they'll find this site.

personally? i've seen more veterans unwilling to stand up and fight back. they're the ones who really bother me because they know better.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:49 pm

I personally think we should start posting some figures so that other well seasoned examiners as well as newbies can see what they should be fighting for and not get screwed from the companies we choose to bill through no matter what that company is.

I would love to see that info...why don't you start it off?

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:25 pm

Prices and price guides are posted all over the board.

$35-$40 for PBU is generally considered fair & reasonable, etc.

huh

Postby huh » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:11 pm

$35-$40 for PBU is generally considered fair & reasonable, etc.

^^^^ is this EC price or direct price???

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 pm

Yes need to be a little more specific. Direct or otherwise....87% percent SMM for directs to mind- because that is what they state they pay. However no one has seen a statement from SMM stating that this is what we billed for and this is your percent and this is what you get. Very unlike E1 that at least prints something that they could be getting paid and the your percent. However they are direct deposit and sometimes don't send the statements( depends on your local office) EMSI also gave a statement at least when I still was doing business with them but that was at least 7 yrs ago- But again was direct deposit. Most statements are like trying to read your cell phone bill now ( instead of 2-3 columns there are now 4-5 columns. Each columns most of the time is an subtraction to overall payment. It's almost like another form of taxes but it is not anything that can be used as such.

If you are asking if 87% of that unknown number is the best you can get. Who knows - I could say I will pay 95% of that unknown number. I guess we would pick the highest right!? Who knows what is right? While it is not the last unknown factors EC have over us - it's a really big one! Unless you are working for a set rate- so much for this and so much for that- and somewhere stated on a contract that most signed to either get the job or worse you've had the job for many years- that some office person sticks in front of your face while passing through- We really need to get a copy of that contract - Also after you read it. Several EC in violation about this one.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:58 am

Prices are for subcontractors (get their work from a PC) with kits provided (either reimbursed for or supplied by PC).

They are a base or starting point. They don't include any extras like mileage or extra pay for additional travel time or an extra charge for presets or anything else you might negotiate.

And while we're on the topic, does anybody else find pay discussions aggravating? Think about how most jobs are when it comes to pay. The "how much do you make" question can be answered very simply: $25 an hour or $40,000 a year.

In this business you have to ask several questions just to be sure you're on the same page as the person you're comparing notes with; does that amount include the kit?, is that your pay or what you get after the PC takes their cut?, etc. With the introduction of percentages and various kit scenarios I think the PCs try to make it confusing so they can keep getting away with underpaying examiners. My $0.02

To not totally hijack this thread I agree with the OP. I'm glad we have so many people reading. It shows me we're growing and reaching more examiners but I'd like to see more examiners getting involved and posting too. This is the only place I'm aware of where we have a voice. We should all use it.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Maybe this site should set up a 'chat' However I don't think that would be anonymous- but maybe. Probably would cost money to be members instead of just ones that come on here to read and see they want to give any input or not. Mostly if you do give any comment - there will be someone else that says the OP is just bitching! Without actually speaking to a person- sometimes most of us do not know how to tell our story. Most of us are paramedical examiners new to all the way to retired(if I should be so lucky) I have found chat sometimes on other sites takes some of that out- the misconstrued/misunderstood. I have never had all positive results on anything I have posted on this site. Never expected too have all positive results. To me this site has always been somewhere to go and see what changes are being made (mostly you will hear-here first) If they will effect me- which most do-whether now or later.
I think most of the negative post against an OP are the PC's (which apparently can't perceive how their supposedly minor changes effect us.) I know PC's have lowered their standards to hire ones to do what I do. I know they pay them less. That's a fact- that is not bitching. Where the bitching comes in is were the new-cheaper examiners make mistakes. Then we all have to pay.
Because most new examiners made so many mistakes on medical HX- we now have call centers on taking HX. They do it everyday in their drop down list. OR now we have to take a computer which is our own/or IPad if you are privileged. Because there were many new examiners that could not or did not schedule their assigned exams. We now have call centers that do that. Call centers now schedule examiners from another state- with no clue on where locations are. At least 1 EC says to a contractor- "the only way to get work from us is if we schedule." Because of the call centers most new examiners have no clue they can't make the next appt without being late. Distance- how long does it take to drive 30 miles no matter what direction! Train A left the station..............So now those examiners are getting there late as well as anything else after. I might add- this is with the call center scheduling or HO scheduling.
The ones that do to know to check are again being penalized not once but twice. We did not get exam- and now there is a team somewhere writing up new and updated rules because of this supposedly (unknown)
But hey - Yes we have people that come in and read - and will slam you IMO - I am pretty sure they are the PC's- I am pretty sure IMO they know who I am.
At the moment this is all we have. IMO I am not sorry to have shared anything on this site.
Sometimes someone posting in the opposite direction is not a bad thing in the ones that do know how to read between the lines.

I think basically my dream job after I retire would be to design the new lab slips from the labs 1-2 times a year- I have always wondered what they paid those people! I bet they get benefits! I never really understood that- What? you have a new machine that can't recognize old ones? But you spent money on that new machine. ?

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:23 am

i've been a lurker for the most part because i've read everything on the board, going all the way back to the beginning. but i see the point which is why i'm posting now.

Craft Lawrence

Postby Craft Lawrence » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:25 pm

I have been a lurker for a while. I just recently became an examiner with APPS. In fact, this morning was my first exam. I made every effort to do my best and not make mistakes. It was a simple BU, but the rules are quite strict, so I of course called my case manager at every step of the way "Hey, is this right? Yes." I have been in the medical field, in some capacity, since I was about 17, so 10+ years and I only do exams part time. My full time job is as a phlebotomist for one of the major diagnostics companies, so I am not entirely new to this.

I'd like to think that I could be very good at this, in time, and I am interested in becoming a direct examiner when I feel I have enough experience.

Return to “Discussion Topics”