time for a union?

An "ANYTHING GOES" forum for discussing the interests, issues and concerns of the paramedical examiner community. Sharing ideas, knowledge, experiences and opinions is strongly encouraged.

However, we do ask that all participants respect the rights of others to communicate in whatever manner they wish, positive or negative, and TRY to behave respectfully toward one another when conflicts in views or opinions arise.

Our goal is to create an environment where examiners can speak openly and honestly without the restrictions of forced diplomacy or the constraints of having to observe over-bearing rules of political correctness.
berykute

time for a union?

Postby berykute » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:43 am

Nurses have unions, why not us?

Re: time for a union?

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:59 pm

Need a Union?
Minimize

Respect and fairness on the job.

Every worker deserves that much along with decent compensation and a safe and healthy work environment. By joining together with your co-workers you can build an employee organization that gives you a real say over your job, puts you on more equal footing with your employer and ensures a better economic future for you and your co-workers.

Your right to form a union is protected by long-standing U.S. labor laws. While most employers use all kinds of excuses why unions aren’t needed and put up challenges to block organizing efforts, workers succeed every day in building powerful employee organizations.

OPEIU can provide you and your co-workers with the tools and support needed to organize a union where you work. You can click on the links below to help you get started or contact OPEIU at 1-800-346-7348 or Contact Us Here.

berykute

Postby berykute » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:06 pm

It is time!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:04 pm

It's way past time. It's long overdue. The problem is unions can be extremely difficult to start (or so I've heard). The bigger problem is very few examiners have shown any interest in banding together in any way, shape or form. If we had a lot of examiners willing to do even that much we could control things without needing an actual union.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:49 pm

UMMmmmm... not sure independent contractors can form unions...

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:45 pm

Guest wrote:UMMmmmm... not sure independent contractors can form unions...

Sure they can. Ever heard of the screen actors guild, or musicians international union?
They negotiate contracts for their members which includes adequate compensations, and better working conditions. Their members are contractors, that also include some behind the scences empoyees such as producers and managers.

The best way to get involved with a Union is to approach one that is already established. There is one that has only been in existence since 2007, and has 1.1million members that is the SEIU, SERVICE EMPLOYESS INTERNATIONAL UNION

How Can a Union Help?

By uniting with others who do the same type of work, you will have a stronger voice on the job and in your community--and you can help create a better future for yourself and all Americans.

The Union Advantage: Facts and Figures
Here are five good reasons to join your co-workers in uniting to form a union:

# 1 - Working together, union members have the strength to win better wages, affordable health care, a secure retirement, and safer workplaces.

# 2 - The "union advantage" is substantial. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, union members are much more likely to have health benefits and pensions.

# 3 - For people of color and women workers, the union impact is even greater. Women workers who are union members earn nearly $9,000 a year more than their non-union counterparts. For African-American workers, the union differential is also about $9,000, and for Latino workers the yearly advantage is more than $11,000.

# 4 - In addition to helping workers win better wages and benefits, unions help all workers by giving working families a stronger voice in our communities, in the political arena, and in the global economy.

# 5 - By joining together, we can build the strength to hold elected officials accountable, stop the "race to the bottom" by employers who cut wages and benefits in favor of bigger profits, and win improvements such as affordable, quality health care for all.

Our Union Is About Standing Together for a Better Future
UNITE WITH US IN THREE STEPS
1. CONNECT

2. EMPOWER

3. NEGOTIATE

Talk with an SEIU organizer about how and why workers decide to join together in a union.
Plan how to empower and involve a majority of your co-workers in a campaign to form a union where you work.
Legally organize your union and start negotiations with your employer for a contract agreement that spells out your pay, your benefits and gives workers a stronger voice to solve problems at work.
Forming a union means employees stick together as a group so we can speak with a more powerful voice. In order for workers to be heard, it’s often necessary for us to join together so companies take us seriously.

By uniting in a union, workers gain a seat at the table to negotiate with our employers on issues like pay rates, healthcare coverage, retirement benefits, and other matters related to our jobs. Together, we stand up to make sure workers share in the success we help create.
Yes, I want more information about how a union works.
Country

Email*

First Name*

Last Name*

Address*

City*

State/Region/Province*

Postal Code*

Phone*

Occupation

Employer*

About how many people work there?*

What are the issues at your workplace that would make you consider organizing a union?*

SERVICE EMPLOYEES INTERNATIONAL UNION

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:53 pm

SEIU.ORG, THE Healthcare division covers Doctors, Nurses, Healthcare workers,etc. they have 1.1million members and unions in 29 states. SEIU in total represent over 2million workers.

If you are serious heres your start. :mrgreen:

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:43 am

Plan how to empower and involve a majority of your co-workers in a campaign to form a union where you work.
I'll start by saying I'm all for unionizing or some other form of banding together.

NASCPE has been trying to get examiners to become even minimally involved for three or more years and most examiners can't be bothered even becoming members (which is free).

Show me how the SEIU will get around that obstacle and I'm all in.

berykute

Postby berykute » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:53 pm

Lets do it!

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Guest wrote:
I'll start by saying I'm all for unionizing or some other form of banding together.

NASCPE has been trying to get examiners to become even minimally involved for three or more years and most examiners can't be bothered even becoming members (which is free).

Show me how the SEIU will get around that obstacle and I'm all in.

aggree 100%!

berykute

Postby berykute » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:52 pm

I am seriously Ready! I sent an inquire to SEIU

Return to “Discussion Topics”