SMM "fines"

An "ANYTHING GOES" forum for discussing the interests, issues and concerns of the paramedical examiner community. Sharing ideas, knowledge, experiences and opinions is strongly encouraged.

However, we do ask that all participants respect the rights of others to communicate in whatever manner they wish, positive or negative, and TRY to behave respectfully toward one another when conflicts in views or opinions arise.

Our goal is to create an environment where examiners can speak openly and honestly without the restrictions of forced diplomacy or the constraints of having to observe over-bearing rules of political correctness.
berykute

SMM "fines"

Postby berykute » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:37 am

I recently received a .50 cent fine for an unchecked box from SMM. No explanation at all. Whats up with this? :cry:

Re: SMM "fines"

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14 pm

I just opened my QA report. I also had a .50 deduction for incomplete paperwork. I looked back on this exam which I keep all copies for a certain amount of time, and of course it was not incomplete. I called QA at SMM and he said yes it was a mistake. Most all of my other errors were status delays which of course is also not correct but I have no way of checking and proving. He said to be sure to send an email to the address in the email I received and this will go directly to Tracy Beal who will then review the report to see if it is correct. In the past I have basically ignored the QA reports altogether as they were usually wrong and I didnt' care if I got the 1.86 "bonus" or not as it was not worth my time to check each "error" to see if it was indeed a mistake on my part. didn't care! I knew there might be a few status delays but not worth my time to check each one. However, this dude I talked to tonight said to make sure Tracy is notified if you think there is a mistake on the QA because they do use your "score" for future work etc. So I sent an email to the address in the QA email and told them to double check all my errors. I know most of them are incorrect errors. So we shall see what happens if I get any feed back. The guy I talked to did take off the "incomplete paperwork" error and gave me back my 50 cents!!!! lol sheesh!!! Really ?? 50 cents deduction?? lol

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:53 am

SMM is taking money away from examiners anywhere and everywhere they can.

Look at their admin fees alone and that should tell you everything you need to know. They even have the gall to charge their examiners an admin fee to do cases SMM sends to them.

Examiners are paying SMM's staff to enter exams into their system.

Hello???

That's part of their friggin' job!

Suzanne

Postby Suzanne » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:24 pm

I was under the impression that this fee was for the umbrella coverage they provide contractors.

MISSY

Postby MISSY » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:22 pm

Never had any fines from SMM. But, how long do they expect you to keep trying to call to schedule an appt? There has been applicants in my Que for over 2 months. Quite frankly I'm third of calling them ever other day.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:09 am

Suzanne wrote:I was under the impression that this fee was for the umbrella coverage they provide contractors.

That's just one of the many reasons they've given as justification for charging their admin fee. Ask them to show you the policy and report back with their answer.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:34 pm

MISSY wrote:Never had any fines from SMM. But, how long do they expect you to keep trying to call to schedule an appt? There has been applicants in my Que for over 2 months. Quite frankly I'm third of calling them ever other day.

I call every other day for two weeks, If I have no response,, then I ask for agent assistance and put it on hold for a week until I get better contact info,, Sometimes I text the number with who I am why Im calling. If nothing after 3 weeks, I tell them to reassign it.

Who needs the dings on the QC report ? They will still ding you if you put many calls, no response. that's why I put it on hold, Plus I status it QOD whether I call it or not, (the flakey ones)
F them. I don't give one hoot about the QC report, I don't even open them. I put on my contact page to fax them to me and put (000)000-0000 as my fax number. They know how I feel about it. Been over it many times with those clowns. And they can take their 50 cent fines and shove them up their nose.

miffed

Postby miffed » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:34 pm

I would like to be able to fine them for all the mistakes they make, wrong #'s, wrong addresses. wrong names, etc etc etc.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Well, I just now sent my "do not send me any more cases" memo to SMM. I hated to do it (because I liked everyone I ever spoke with over the last 15 years, or so).

I just saw a total of $2 deducted from my pay.... and I let them know what THAT $2 has cost them. ME.

Guess getting "big" has it's costs.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Is this the 1st time you've been charged the $2 admin fee or is it the 1st time you noticed?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:05 pm

Guest wrote:Is this the 1st time you've been charged the $2 admin fee or is it the 1st time you noticed?

This was not the Admin Fee, but errors at 0.50 each. Sorry for not clarifying.
"Failure to follow instructions, ect..." Whatever their reason, I don't care. I do not need contract business and they lost someone they could call in an "emergency" or when "no one else is available" ....ALL BECAUSE of 4 fifty cent (the $2) "error deductions"... shame

Should mention: they already called me about my memo. You know, I am torn. I really like everyone there, but it just does NOT pay to contract with them anymore :? ...but after thinking about it, I have decided to not accept anymore work from them... unless they want to talk pay increases (shameful on my part, I know. But I do have a business to run myself ).

Currently:
b/u/v.. $30
p/b/u.. $40
p/b/u/ekg.. $50
trip fees on most cases.

I WILL be raising my fees (IF I take anymore cases from them). But honestly, I think I am done with them.

Oh Hell.. here's the memo I sent:
Attachments
SMM note.docx
(17.08 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

1Examiner

Postby 1Examiner » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:32 pm

I can't download your memo but would love to read it. I had a similar conversation with them recently. They are just not giving me any cases. I was flat out told my "scores" are the highest but my rate is higher than others even though their "scores" are lower "they are good enough" and they are paid less so the work is going to them. I have worked there over 15 yrs, in the business 25 yrs. I was told I could go to flat rates and was quoted $28 for p/b/u are you kidding me??? That is a joke! I asked if they do not take into consideration all of the direct business I give them and was told they appreciate it but they consider their rates to be the draw to give them the direct business and has nothing to do with anything else. How bout loyalty, good will and all that stuff. Don't think its in their vocabulary. I, too, am torn, because they have always been good to me in the past but I am not going to work for nothing. I am sure there are plenty of companies that would love to have my direct business. And you are right, when they have a TLC case or go fix something the cut rate examiners have screwed up, good luck finding someone willing to help you then. :e

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 pm

They set my fees 10 years ago at 35-p,b,u
45-p,b,u,ekg
I will not go down in fee. I am not receiving work, except for their requesting help. They quit sending orders , this spring.
I bill directs mostly through E1. Some higher payout with SMM, not many, though.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:30 am

I have decided to not accept anymore work from them... unless they want to talk pay increases (shameful on my part, I know. But I do have a business to run myself ).
I'm sorry, I missed the part about where the shame came in. It's shameful to expect a decent return on your investment of time and effort?

Sweetheart, you are now entering the business world. In here it's OK to question such things. It shows you are putting aside petty things such as liking people and you're ready to get down to the nitty gritty of why one works for a living.

Don't feel bad. It takes almost no time to get used to concepts like making a profit.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:41 am

I am sure there are plenty of companies that would love to have my direct business
Go to NASCPE and get on their list. They're trying to assemble a group of direct examiners for billing to take advantage of strength in numbers.

See this thread http://www.paramedicalexaminersanonymous.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1083

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 am

I'm sorry, I missed the part about where the shame came in. It's shameful to expect a decent return on your investment of time and effort?

Anytime I choose money over friends, yes I do consider some of them friends, I feel bad. Maybe shame was the wrong word.
I agree that my time and effort is worth a decent pay. I have been doing exams for 30+ years. That's why I my main income comes from Directs.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 am

I read your letter. Very nicely done.

My rates are the same as yours and I only get called when they've exhausted their supply of "mediocre, but will work cheap" examiners too.

It's funny, they talk constantly about quality this and quality that but when the rubber meets the road quality always takes a back seat to getting it done for the cheapest amount possible.

The part I love is when they finally get to me and say "but we don't have anyone else we can call". Like that should somehow make me drop my price. Ya right! If anything my price goes up.

If nothing else it shows they never let friendship, loyalty, history, performance or deserved rewards get in the way of doing business and neither should you or anyone else.

It's too bad so many examiners think the same way or are so willing to undercut one another. Stupid and greedy instead of business-minded. That's what keeps the prices dropping.

Glad to see you standing up to it.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:21 am

Looks like SMM is also trying to pay just 5.00 per packet now. I emailed about the change and did not get a response. Needless to say won't be doing that out of area exam- even though we had that part worked out.
I refuse to go backwards on payment anymore. From experience I have learned that when you do - next year will be also going backwards.
I emailed- call me last and expect to pay what is in profile. If you lower payment on packets don't call me. There is nothing in my world that is a cost that is going down... well maybe gas at the moment but we all know that won't last long. But for the mileage - it was 3.25 extra and then you took 5.00 off of the packet. Hmmm- Sounding like the car dealer now.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:02 am

our reality is we constantly have to go over EVERY pay statement we receive with a fine tooth comb. they can, will AND DO nickel and dime us every chance they get.

they count on people being too lazy to pay that much attention to the details and it works.

they count on people not raising a stink over 2 bucks here, 5 bucks there, and it works.

maybe its because most are part-timers and they know this isnt there primary source of income.

i would think anybody who NEEDS to work a part time job in addition to a full time job would be that much more watchful over there money but ... who knows?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 am

Looks like SMM is also trying to pay just 5.00 per packet now. I emailed about the change and did not get a response. Needless to say won't be doing that out of area exam- even though we had that part worked out.

When I open the case and see a packet without a $10 packet fee, I just hit the contact button and ask them to update a $10 packet fee or reassign the case to another examiner.
I am okay with not doing that case, but sometimes they have no other examiners and the case is always updated to $10.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 am

There was no "opening case" to see what it pays. I was emailed with a zip and the requirements which included packet. Therefore I sent an email to ask what the unknowns paid. That is where I got 5.00 for packet.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:19 am

Guest wrote:There was no "opening case" to see what it pays. I was emailed with a zip and the requirements which included packet. Therefore I sent an email to ask what the unknowns paid. That is where I got 5.00 for packet.

Do you ever go into the SMM site to see your work orders. If not, please ask to do so. If so, the trips fees and packet fees are listed under instructions or comments.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:06 pm

i might be talking apples to your oranges but i absolutely refuse to go to anyone's site to check my orders. i'll go if i need info on a particular case and I have a question, but i won't be tied to having to check to see if i have new orders.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 pm

wow
I personally feel that checking a website is way better than calls, calls, and more calls ... or multiple emails.
To each her own :)
Then again, I only have one company that I contract for, so it's easier for me that way

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Again I was not assigned the case therefore it was not in anything I could check out. I was emailed to ask if I would do it.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:05 am

but sometimes they have no other examiners and the case is always updated to $10
I hope everyone is listening. This tells me Superior is now expanding their fishing for bottom feeders to include getting packets done at cut rates.

Why is it relevant?
Because examiners (whether they were aware of it or not) banded together and won this battle.
Superior used to try to get examiners to do them for $0 - $3 but so many examiners refused they were forced to increase it to $10 to have any hope of getting them done. And because so many refused it became an automatic $10. You didn't have to negotiate. The extra $10 was offered up front.

If you're an undercutter think about what you're doing to yourself, if not this industry.
Every time you undercut other examiners you do more work for less money and guarantee you will continue to do more work for less money in the future.
The prices will continue to drop and you will eventually have to do 2 exams to make the same amount of money you make now doing one.

If you don't have skills or you have a poor work ethic, you probably have to do this to get any work at all. But if you do have the skills and you're a good examiner, why are you selling yourself short?

Like driving up the price of packets, setting minimums will drive up the price of exams.
If most examiners set the floor at $35 for a PBU, the exam companies would have no choice but to pay. Sure, they'd still be able to get some of the work taken care of by the unskilled undercutters, but the majority would have to go to skilled examiners.

If nothing else, the widespread packet refusals showed we can affect change just by taking a stand as individuals.

Return to “Discussion Topics”